Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

As many of you know, I recently bought a White's Dual Field PI. I took the machine on its inaugural run and did pretty well. I was hoping for some gold, but it was not to be this time. I went out for three, four-hour sessions in the surf and dug an embarrassing amount of change. Also got numerous sunglasses (only 3 pair were keepers, but one was prescription, which I tossed). The other 5 were destroyed when found. Also got a large knife, a 1945-S wheat cent, and strangely enough I dug my first Susan B. Anthony Dollar. :icon_scratch: No idea what that was doing there. I was lucky enough to dig three rings (one each outing). The rings were 2 tungsten carbide wedding bands and a silver ring with tiny diamond chips. Totals are below:

98 pennies (incl. 1 wheat)
10 nickels
31 dimes
38 quarters
1 Susan B. Anthony Dollar

($15.08 in clad)

1 pocketknife
fishing sinkers, etc.
small necklace (junk)
bracelet (junk)
8 sunglasses
7 junk earrings

2 silver earrings
2 tungsten wedding bands
1 silver ring

Overall I had a blast, but I did dig by butt off. What you see below was the product of 12 hours of nonstop digging. What you aren't seeing is all the pulltabs, bobby pins, rusted nails, encrusted fish hooks, junk, crappe, foil, bottle caps, and destroyed pieces of metal framed sunglasses. The junk I dug totally filled up a kitchen trash can. Detecting in the surf waist deep at night is not easy, but it's a nice change of pace from land hunting. I think I will go for a wider scoop next time, as I almost Never got the target in the scoop the first try, so being able to remove just a little more sand each time would be ideal. If you hunt with a PI machine, I'd appreciate your scoop suggestions. I did have the gain cranked way up and was digging knee-deep holes a lot of the time. Long way to go for a zincoln.

BUT--time to go back to the real world of snakes, gators, skeeters, sucking mud, and 105 degrees on land. :coffee2:

IMG_0508.JPGIMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 26
Nice haul, especially the silver finds! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Nice job there! With all that digging I'm surprised your arms still work!
Any one of those targets could have been gold. That's a nice haul! Not bad on the rings either!
I've run across those dollar coins on a beach before also, I'm guessing that kids lot them.

You may want to take pics of your massive trash piles, you never know when you may need evidence why you should be allowed to search beach and other private property. After all you did work to collect it just like the good stuff, you might as well use it to your advantage as proof positive you a good guy!

So, did you miss the dirt digging? I guess not the Mosquitos!

A very productive beach indeed.That clad adds up,now you will be able to buy plenty batteries.

The machine worked very well BB. You had quite a trip. It's funny how those dollars show up given the fact they are not widely used. I walked out of a convenience store with ice on the ground and saw a coin under about an inch of ice and dug out one of those with my knife a few years ago??? WTG, Q.

Nice rings! Don't toss them those things go for quite a bit!! I saw some $200 plus recently looking at rings for the wife n I... Keep up the hunting and good luck!

Joe

That's quite a pile there Buck. I see that your jewelry finds are similar to the trends up this way. Gold is very hard to come by these days. I believe that's related to its high price, and the fact that the younger generation can't afford it. Everyone seems to be opting for cobalt, tungsten carbide and stainless steel, and I've found my fair share of those the last couple of summers. And now with the beach season starting to wane already my hopes of finding gold in the scoop are fast dwindling. Hopefully one of us can pull out a nice one before the season ends.

that's not the typical post im used to from you, but hey that's a nice pile of clad and the jewelry is pretty darn good as well!

good hunting!!

Nice rings and silver!!

Only ring I found at the beach all week was a tungsten ring, the same ring new $99.99

Wow! Will in water with wings. I mean rings! Glad you have a beach to hunt close by. Here when it is hot you find the creeks! You will be out finding solid cannon shot before long I imagine. Stay cool and have fun! You will be the most versatile hunter we know. :thumbsup:
HH

Ya know BB, I expect "seated" from you. It must be a different world going from stubble to seashells.

Nice job there! With all that digging I'm surprised your arms still work!
Any one of those targets could have been gold. That's a nice haul! Not bad on the rings either!
I've run across those dollar coins on a beach before also, I'm guessing that kids lot them.

You may want to take pics of your massive trash piles, you never know when you may need evidence why you should be allowed to search beach and other private property. After all you did work to collect it just like the good stuff, you might as well use it to your advantage as proof positive you a good guy!

So, did you miss the dirt digging? I guess not the Mosquitos!

So nice to be in the water and breeze. Some things I didn't miss about the dirt digging, namely the heat and bugs and mud. But I of course did miss the chance to dig something really old.

The machine worked very well BB. You had quite a trip. It's funny how those dollars show up given the fact they are not widely used. I walked out of a convenience store with ice on the ground and saw a coin under about an inch of ice and dug out one of those with my knife a few years ago??? WTG, Q.

And I thought I had an odd experience digging one in the ocean. That's so strange. Good to hear from you my friend. Hasn't been much digging for me this summer. Hard to get pumped up for 105 heat index when we're between sites waiting for the cane harvest. :(

That's quite a pile there Buck. I see that your jewelry finds are similar to the trends up this way. Gold is very hard to come by these days. I believe that's related to its high price, and the fact that the younger generation can't afford it. Everyone seems to be opting for cobalt, tungsten carbide and stainless steel, and I've found my fair share of those the last couple of summers. And now with the beach season starting to wane already my hopes of finding gold in the scoop are fast dwindling. Hopefully one of us can pull out a nice one before the season ends.

Glad to know it's not just me. I was telling myself that any of those rings could've been gold instead of silver or tungsten. I think you're right. Gold losing its appeal as the price rises. Fingers crossed for one of us to get a good one!

Cheers,

Buck

Wow! Will in water with wings. I mean rings! Glad you have a beach to hunt close by. Here when it is hot you find the creeks! You will be out finding solid cannon shot before long I imagine. Stay cool and have fun! You will be the most versatile hunter we know. :thumbsup:
HH

Would LOVE to have a waterproof detector with discrimination, but no way I'd get in those swampy, gator-filled bayous down here. If I'm getting in a creek, it will be FLOWING and I'll be able to have some visibility! But would love to do some water hunting back in Virginia and Kentucky with one. Opted for the no-discrimination PI instead, and have had a blast so far.

-Buck

Ya know BB, I expect "seated" from you. It must be a different world going from stubble to seashells.

You ain't kidding. I'm not used to getting excited over a wheat and a Susan B. :D

Excellent haul. Congrats.

I LOVE beach hunting. I'm planning a trip myself in the very near future.
As long as people insist on showing off their good jewelry when they swim I'll be beach hunting.

WOW ! You were Busy :thumbsup:

Congrats. Sounds like way to much work for my lazy butt! See ya soon buddy, Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back