My first signed book by the author find!

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
So I hit this off site estate sale. Just about everything was modern, furniture, electronics, etc. I scored some out of date printer ink (printer ink is as good as gold, best part is when it is expired and you point this out to the seller, they practically give it away. But it is still good) and found my way to a shelf loaded with new books. 99 times out of 100 I do a quick scan to see if anything catches my eye and I am off. But this sale opened at 8 and the next one didn't open til 9, so I had time to kill anyway.

I bought a couple of books for me, then I found a book I just had to have! I didn't realize it at the time but when I got home I noticed the scribble inside the cover was actually the author who signed the book!

potbook (1).JPGpotbook (2).JPG

The full quote reads: Jimmy 31 Aug 2006 Thanks for all the HELP! Tu amigo Jorge Cervantes

I don't think I will be selling this one even though it can bring me a nice return on my $1 investment.

Great find. I once hit a estate sale, went into the library which was a closed in garage. Started looking at the books most were western stuff from the 50s and 60s. After a couple of books I noticed that they had inscriptions and signed by the author/ or just autographed. Picked out a couple more and the same. I went to the family holding the estate sale and made an offer for everybook in the house, after a :icon_scratch: look they said ok. As I finished making my last load of books, they asked me if I wanted to buy a couple of book shelves, I said no I don't need them. Then they said we will give them to you for free and hall them to your house if you take them off our hands. Deal. Once in a life time event for me. Now almost every book I find with an inscription or autograph by the author I buy. Of course depends on the asking price and condition.

I've got about a dozen or so signed by the author books. I also have a copy of that same book you have I believe, plus 2 others on the same subject, lol. I'll have to check tommorrow. I will be listing them soon as I don't have a green thumb. If I lived in Ca., I might be tempted to try but not around here, i'd be locked up in no time. Here is a book I have that was signed by Bob Hope back during WW2, he signed it to Jesse James, who is really Teresa James, a woman pilot back during WW2- http://www.p47pilots.com/P47-Pilots.cfm?c=incP47BiographyHome.cfm&vm=BIO&pilotid=271&p=Teresa%20D.%20James
(she died a couple years ago, website is out of date)

Here's the book (They Got Me Covered) and signatures-

estate sale 2.jpg

estate sale jesse.jpg

It also contained a separate piece of paper inside the front cover with Bob Hope and some other unknowns (to me) signed

estate sale bob.jpg

that gladstone-2817 is a phone number...gl-2817....maybe thats bobs home phone number....looks like its in the same hand...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back