Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all;
I am new joining to TreasureNet; I have been looking here for awhile and found many confirmations of my finds here.
I'll have to get in the swing of things, But I appreciate everyone's finds and help for things unknown, so, I
figured I'd just jump in !
I live in an area on the East Coast that was founded in 1600's. I have found some pretty old coins and many many colonial artifacts.
So, it seems funny to me that it can take so long to find relatively newer things.
I had yet to find a shield nickle and today, I got my socks blessed off.
Sending two pics. but also have a question for the coin collectors.
In the Official Red Book, for U.S. Coins.. It shows in some of the listings, a number in parenthesis that has no label above it. It is usually the first number if it is there at all.
I couldn't find an explanation in the book. Is this number possibly coins known to date ?
For example, in my case, under this nickle it lists (700+).

I detected about thirty years ago, and stopped. Have been back the past two years, and the newer detectors are unreal. I have found an amazing amount
of early relics, and some nice coins.
Thanks for any help you can give in advance.

Attachments

• 1875 shield nickle obverse.jpg
    1875 shield nickle obverse.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1875 shield nickle reverse.jpg
    1875 shield nickle reverse.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 10
Very pretty shield nickel, mine was almost toast, but with rays.
Welcome to the site hope to see more post from you.

Very nice!!! Still looking for my first one! 3 buffs and 1 V so far...but no shield.

COngrats, I've only found a couple of V's in good shape usually they are toasted BAD

Very nice!!! Still looking for my first one! 3 buffs and 1 V so far...but no shield.

I have only been back detecting for the past two years.. I am learning to be patient.. not my strongest suit. But neat things do keep coming under my detector, often, when I least expect it. FUN ain't it ?

COngrats, I've only found a couple of V's in good shape usually they are toasted BAD

I know. I have a planchette. it is the size and weight of a half penny.. great green patina, but it is perfectly SMOOTH except for a flaw. I have no idea what it is! First, what we find may be a mystery, then we do our research and add them to our treasures, frustrating when you can't find out what it is ! Or what year, as happens often.. but the other stuff makes up for it... I keep telling myself. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back