mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching a new permission and got a nice mid-tone signal. I guess this is a first for me...a lead imprint of a 1941 quarter. IMG_20170903_232758.jpgIMG_20170903_232805.jpg

Upvote 23
Never seen anything similar. It sure is a very cool find! Congrats!

Very easy to do.
A 4 lb. lump hammer. A steel plate. A piece of sheet lead, and a quarter. WHAM!!
Congratulations

Cool! I'm liking the reversed lettering and images too...definitely a neat find! That's a first for me...thx for sharing, Ddf.

They have been doing this ever since coins were around. Seen a lead print of a Roman Coin, & many others through the ages.

Pretty cool find. But still, why?

To see how cool it looks, no reason other than what went through their mind at the time. Lead is easy to melt so anyone could do it.

That's something you don't see everyday.... congrats and HH

Cool find indeed ! A first I've seen. Thanks for sharing and Congrats for finding.

Cool recovery! Something that I've never dug up before.

Easy answer. Vending machines. I have two lead nickels, one is a buffalo. Back then machines were not sophisticated enough to tell a fake coin from a real one. Want a candy bar or a soda? Use a lead coin. Looks like they never finished it or never intended to. We will never know.

Both of mine were water finds.

Last edited:
Easy answer. Vending machines. I have two lead nickels, one is a buffalo. Back then machines were not sophisticated enough to tell a fake coin from a real one. Want a candy bar or a soda? Use a lead coin. Looks like they never finished it or never intended to. We will never know.

Both of mine were water finds.
That makes sense..fake coins for vending machines!

That's an easy one to answer. Lead costs practically nothing. Some people will buy anything. If you have some spare time and a willingness to risk getting caught,, (this is a form of counterfeiting), you could probably get a dollar a coin at a flea market. Maybe more for half dollar or dollar coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back