My First Indian Head Penny

dbqIAhunter

Aug 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they say, be sure to check around the old clothes lines. Found my first Indian Head penny and first in the 1800's. In somewhat rough shape but still exciting.

IMG_20171108_141702[1].jpgIMG_20171108_141959[1].jpg

Upvote 23
Welcome to T-net and nice find. My oldest coin is an 1895 Indian found here in Az. What state are you in?

Congrats! Looks like a nice one. Try wiping the dirt from the front with a warm moist cloth. Just enough to remove the dirt, if you see green on your cloth your rubbing to hard and taking the patina off. Next step, rub both sides with some nose grease (gives them a nice shine) and final step zoom half way with your phone camera it is easier to get a nicely focused pic. Your into the oldies with this one, awesome!!!

Congrats on your first IHP!

I remember mine well and it was 32 plus years ago. It was my first 1800's coin as well. Once you find the first one, they come easier! Grats and GL hunting.

Thanks Old Pueblo. I'm in Iowa along the Mississippi River.

Thanks for the tips. Have a great day and Happy Hunting!

Congrats on your first injun looks good, hope you find many more exciting firsts. Art

Congrats on your first. I remember my first one, boy was I excited.

The obverse is nice and green, that is a good one.

Very well played sir!

My first silver coin was a 1900 barber dime and I still haven't found 1800 coin. Weird
Hey just wondering did it ring up like a zinc penny? I found a really clean IHP once in a school playground
about 4 inches down in mulch that looked like it got dropped within the past week it was a 1906 0r 7. I had been in
that spot 4 or 5 times previous and I figure a kid took his grandpa's money for gum. I hope he takes more?
It rang up as a zinc I started hunting after the summer and I am focusing on deeper targets in an old
school yard. found a 1944 nickel and then I went back and found a very dirty 1940 nickel, ah so close
Of course the detail is very clear

Congrats, nice coin.
Some guys seem to find lots of them but I would classify them as uncommon for most - In over 10 years I have only found a dozen or so.

Congrats on that first IHP... That beautiful green color never gets old. Many more to come. :occasion14:

My detector doesn't specify zinc, just rang up as a coin penny target.
I got a great permission, stopped by an late 1800's house being renovated, talked to the owner and turned out he is a history teacher who gave me permission to detect there and the other old homes he owns and rents out. He had me show my detector and demonstrate it for his class.:icon_thumright:

Congrats There is a lot of history up around Dubuque! I am sure more good finds coming to you!'

Congrats on your first IH! Always love seeing an Indian come out of the ground...

Congratulations on your first Indian. Wow great permission, future permission, and sharing the hobby with others! Awesome! Looking forward to your future finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back