My first fish scale...is a love token

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love Token 060524.jpgLove Token Reverse 060524.jpg

Nice scroll work on this one. Made from an 1888 Canadian five cent silver. My first fish scale.:headbang: I seem to be doing well with the Canadian silver this year. Wonder if the blemish on the back is where they tried to attach it to something?

Sword hanger 060524.jpg

Another great find tonight was this civil war era sword hanger.

Coins 060524.jpgCoins Reverse 060524.jpg

Then a rough IHP and a clean wheatback to boot.

Today's finds...

Civil War Era Sword Hanger
Love Token from an 1888 Canadian 5 cent piece.
1907 Indian Head Penny
1910 Wheatback Penny

PBS

Upvote 50
Love tokens are really cool and dug ones are even more cool. Yes, the back once had something soldered to it, either a pin or a loop. I agree with cudamark, either a tie tac or a cuff link. The idea of a cuff link means the other half might possibly be near where that was found.

I'm struck by the difference in conditions of the pennies, only 3 years apart.

Did the metallurgy change between IHPs & Lincolns?
I feel a lot has to do with the condition of the soil. Although on the same site, the IHP was encased in clay. The wheatback was in nice, black topsoil. I've always found soils with good drainage to cough up nicer looking coins.

PBS

That fish scale love token is an outstanding find. Those coins are sooooo small, and easy to miss with a detector. The fact that you found it, and that its a love token is a double bonus. Nicely done.

Very nice finds. Those love tokens are so special and personal.. Congrats!

"Fish scale"?
"Love token"?

.... Just one of the things I love about new hobbies--learning yet another whole new language. 🤗

View attachment 2152692View attachment 2152693

Nice scroll work on this one. Made from an 1888 Canadian five cent silver. My first fish scale.:headbang: I seem to be doing well with the Canadian silver this year. Wonder if the blemish on the back is where they tried to attach it to something?

View attachment 2152694

Another great find tonight was this civil war era sword hanger.

View attachment 2152696View attachment 2152695

Then a rough IHP and a clean wheatback to boot.

Today's finds...

Civil War Era Sword Hanger
Love Token from an 1888 Canadian 5 cent piece.
1907 Indian Head Penny
1910 Wheatback Penny

PBS
Congrats

That is a great 5 cent.
1888 is a somewhat common year so I would much rather have the love token, that makes it something special. Or at least it was to someone.
These were commonly used for love tokens and many had loops for charm bracelets.
One of the uses of the holed ones were as attractors when fishing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back