My first bottle find!!!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
today, while metal detecting I found my first bottle. It is the brown one pictured. I tried to take a picture of the marking on the bottom but it does not show very well. It looks like an O with a square around it and a circle around that. Does anyone have any informationon this bottle???

The builder who owns the property I'm hunting showed up and I showed him the bottle I found. He said he found the Horton-Cato bottle and he gave that to me too!! Research shows that it probably is a hot sauce bottle. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Thanks! Debby

Attachments

• brown.jpg
    brown.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 466
  • bottles1.jpg
    bottles1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 464
welcome to the wonderful world of bottle collecting LOL... thats how I got started.. cant part with any of em and some I got at sales :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Debby, I can tell you that the brown bottle is machine made - probably around 1910 or thereabouts. It probably had a cork, and looks like a medicine bottle of some sort - pills maybe, and it probably had a paper label. The "O" on the bottom stands for Owens, which was the company that made the first automatic bottling machine. The other bottle looks like a screw top, which would probably date it around the same time by the looks of the writing. Does the bottom have a mark, a circle or an oval? How far up do the seams run up on the sides of the bottle? An easy dating method: if the seams run up and over the lip of the bottle, it dates it to the early 1900's and later - also look for the automatic bottle machine marks - circle or oval, "O" for Owens. Other companies made bottle machines, and their marks will be on the bottom also. If the seam runs to the middle of the neck of the bottle, the bottle dates to the late 1800's - they blew the bottles by hand in wood or metal molds, then applied the top to the molded bottle. If the seam runs to the beginning of the neck of the bottle, the date will be mid to late 1800's. Of course there are exceptions to these rules, but this is a good gauge. Hope that helps.

Richard

hey John they must be cousins! And Richard, thanks for all of the information. I know that the clear bottle does have a seam that comes up and to the top of the lip. Can't inspect it more right now. I'm getting ready to paint and packed it away for awhile!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back