My fiirst old pocket spill.....SLQ....

LETSHUNTNOW

Jan 22, 2008
ILLINOIS
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, got permission last week to detect an old farm I have been eyeing for some time..talked to an older gentleman that said it was his mothers place and someone lived there before her but he wasn't sure how old it was..he gave me permission and I said I would show him everything and he was welcome to any of it but he said he would just like to see what I found...half of the house is still standing with an old well and 3 out buildings and the biggest trees I have ever seen....Saturday I started in front yard and found the 46 rosie and 3 wheats...I went to the side yard and found a ton of old shotgun shell brass ends and a lot of junk...I showed him what I found and he was as excited as I was so that was nice..he would not take them and said I could come back as much as I wanted...headed right back this evening to the backyard and first signal I dug was the 1891 ih and 1898 v nickel in the same hole..mxt was jumping back and forth from 16-77 and 78..i stood up took two steps and had 83-84 solid..my second slq..1926s...date is worn but its there...I also found three coppers? next to the quarter,each has a tiny hole in them but I cant see anything on them..found some other goodies showed everything to the gentleman and he was excited and surprised but still refused anything..then he told me he found a silver quarter in a tree that fell down a few years ago in the back yard...should be some good hunting there for a while..im pumped...I love my mxt and I got an at pro coming this week..im in heaven...good digging to everyone...letshuntnow

Attachments

• SLQ 001.JPG
    SLQ 001.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 280
  • SLQ 002.JPG
    SLQ 002.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 220
  • SLQ 003.JPG
    SLQ 003.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 200
  • SLQ 005.JPG
    SLQ 005.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 192
  • SLQ 006.JPG
    SLQ 006.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 10
What is the thing above the rifle shells on the immediate right of the tags in the first picture? I found one of those yesterday in the woods above an old cemetery.

:hello2::headbang: This is wonderful -- good finds and a nice new friend! You're gonna have fun discovering things there for a long time to come! Andi

if theres anything there that MXT will sniff it out no problem :thumbsup:

congrats on the nice finds, and good luck w/ur atpro!

Very nice,SLQs with a date are fairly hard to come by.Congrats.

Still chasing the slq myself...one day...awesome finds!

What is the thing above the rifle shells on the immediate right of the tags in the first picture? I found one of those yesterday in the woods above an old cemetery.

I believe that piece is the inside reed of a harmonica.

Not sure what coils or how many you have for the MXT but the D2 is a deep coin killer and takes the MXT to a whole new level, I can get dimes at 10"+ and have some at 12" before. I might have got a few new coils instead of that detector you ordered if it were me. Great finds and HH

Great spill!

Yes, that's a broken harmonica reed. You also have a nice bridle rosette to the right of the SLQ. Very nice set of finds there!

metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds but make sure you go back to the owner (every once in a while) to show him what you found (just so he knows you appreciate his kindness) LETSHUNTNOW. Thanks for sharing...

metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds but make sure you go back to the owner (every once in a while) to show him what you found (just so he knows you appreciate his kindness) LETSHUNTNOW. Thanks for sharing...

I agree. I usually try and give the property owner some sort of gift worth between $10 and $20 as a thank you for being so kind as to allow me to hunt their property. This generates a lot of goodwill and it makes me feel good to be able to give something back.

Well, actually not a harmonica reed, but a reed plate. Reeds are attached to the reed plate, cover the holes in the plate, and vibrate when you blow air through the holes. There's one reed plate in a harmonica, and as many reeds as there are notes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back