My clad mine

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I'm sharing this just because I think it's worthy of mention. There's a place I know, maybe 30 feet square give or take, it's a patch or xeriscape just outside my work. Homeless folks hang out there constantly, camping and just loitering. This specific spot yields so much modern (60s to present) coin that it's unreal. Literally any time I search the area it will yield more coin than anything else and it never runs dry, the replenishment is off the charts. Coin spills galore. I've managed to clear out all the trash aside from the bits of foil they use to smoke their tar. It yields a fair bit of jewelry too but the coins dominate. If I let it lay fallow for a week and come back it's fully restocked, some are down deeper (they never seem to run out) but many are just below the rocks. It is, hands down, the best coinshooting spot I've found, it never lets me down. No tot lot, waste area or curb strip that I've found as of yet can compare. I've concluded actually that the very best coinshooting locations are where the homeless hang around and I know many such locations, I expect some of the others might very well yield just as much but I haven't gone to investigate yet.
Just an amusing story from my end, happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 3
I'm sharing this just because I think it's worthy of mention. There's a place I know, maybe 30 feet square give or take, it's a patch or xeriscape just outside my work. Homeless folks hang out there constantly, camping and just loitering. This specific spot yields so much modern (60s to present) coin that it's unreal. Literally any time I search the area it will yield more coin than anything else and it never runs dry, the replenishment is off the charts. Coin spills galore. I've managed to clear out all the trash aside from the bits of foil they use to smoke their tar. It yields a fair bit of jewelry too but the coins dominate. If I let it lay fallow for a week and come back it's fully restocked, some are down deeper (they never seem to run out) but many are just below the rocks. It is, hands down, the best coinshooting spot I've found, it never lets me down. No tot lot, waste area or curb strip that I've found as of yet can compare. I've concluded actually that the very best coinshooting locations are where the homeless hang around and I know many such locations, I expect some of the others might very well yield just as much but I haven't gone to investigate yet.
Just an amusing story from my end, happy hunting!
All true. You should also mention (at least it's true in my area) that those site can be dangerous too. Not just the crazy people that sometime hang out there that can go off on you, but, the diseases (including hepatitis) and disgusting habits they have. These sites have food garbage, drug paraphernalia including needles, vomit, feces, etc. If you just have to detect those sites, I'd be real careful what you pick up. Wear gloves and keep your head on a swivel.

All true. You should also mention (at least it's true in my area) that those site can be dangerous too. Not just the crazy people that sometime hang out there that can go off on you, but, the diseases (including hepatitis) and disgusting habits they have. These sites have food garbage, drug paraphernalia including needles, vomit, feces, etc. If you just have to detect those sites, I'd be real careful what you pick up. Wear gloves and keep your head on a swivel.
Oh definitely, folks don't mess with me personally, I'm pretty intimidating honestly, typically armed and armored too. All those coins get scrubbed as do my hands. It's been my experience that searching old encampments as well as hang out spots typically yield high coin drops, much higher than other places. I can go to a typical local tot lot, maybe find 75 cents, perhaps a bit of costume jewelry, all in the course of two hours. I search one of these encampment areas and within two hours I can walk away with as much as $10, maybe more if I take more time. My coin jar is filling very quickly and while modern coin isn't what many are after I've figured out that I can find enough of it to be meaningful in terms of volume by searching such spots. On the whole I don't find the homeless to be especially threatening, annoying in some cases but otherwise of no concern. If there's a threat to me it's coming from elsewhere. Don't pick up syringes kids, seriously. That's what the magnetic pick up tool is for, that and pliers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back