My best week for old Coins & Ol' Rough & Ready Shows Up too

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
This past couple weeks was a whirlwind for me, visiting 5 permissions & 1 public space (awesome and clearly undetected where I got my oldest coins and buttons). Fighting through the mosquitos I pulled my first two 1700s coins including a Kg III British Farthing & King Louis XVI Sol, believe the date is 1781. Also; 1840 Largie, 5 IHPs - 1873, 82, 94, 97 and 07. 1915-D Buffalo was cool to find and 3 silver dimes. Relics made a good showing, Model T valve stem (pretty large one so I think it's from a truck tire?)., couple of suspender clips, 3 flat buttons, some silver-plated utensils, broken pewter spoon handle, thimble. One odd piece appears to be two shotgun stamps crimped together making a spool and my most unique find a 1848 Zachery Taylor 'Rough & Ready' coat button. At one location, within a 30 square foot area I pulled the two 1700 coins, 1840 largie, 1873 IHP, 3 flat buttons and the Rough & Ready button, best patch of ground I've hit ever. Thanks to folks here for helping identify the older coins, don't see these much in my area at all. The older coins were well worn before being dropped, so added a few pics of what they looked like in better times.

Attachments

• ObverseAll.jpg
    ObverseAll.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • reverseall.jpg
    reverseall.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • 1774Farthing.jpg
    1774Farthing.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • 1781Sol.jpg
    1781Sol.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 1806KGIII.jpg
    1806KGIII.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 51
  • allfinds.jpg
    allfinds.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 1915BuffObverse.jpg
    1915BuffObverse.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 1915DBuffReverse.jpg
    1915DBuffReverse.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • TylerButtonObverse.jpg
    TylerButtonObverse.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Upvote 19
Great looking coppers.
But that is one awesome looking button, don't recall one being posted before.
Congratulations on your recoveries.

This past couple weeks was a whirlwind for me, visiting 5 permissions & 1 public space (awesome and clearly undetected where I got my oldest coins and buttons). Fighting through the mosquitos I pulled my first two 1700s coins including a Kg III British Farthing & King Louis XVI Sol, believe the date is 1781. Also; 1840 Largie, 5 IHPs - 1873, 82, 94, 97 and 07. 1915-D Buffalo was cool to find and 3 silver dimes. Relics made a good showing, Model T valve stem (pretty large one so I think it's from a truck tire?)., couple of suspender clips, 3 flat buttons, some silver-plated utensils, broken pewter spoon handle, thimble. One odd piece appears to be two shotgun stamps crimped together making a spool and my most unique find a 1848 Zachery Taylor 'Rough & Ready' coat button. At one location, within a 30 square foot area I pulled the two 1700 coins, 1840 largie, 1873 IHP, 3 flat buttons and the Rough & Ready button, best patch of ground I've hit ever. Thanks to folks here for helping identify the older coins, don't see these much in my area at all. The older coins were well worn before being dropped, so added a few pics of what they looked like in better times.
man, that's the kind of whirlwind I like, great saves all around and wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back