My best finds yesterday and my best coin yet

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've hunted this ag field hard over the last winter-early spring. It yielded some great finds last year. Then the crops were planted in May, harvested yesterday, and I was back out. It's amazing what kinds of things I missed before that were audible this time around. Found my best coin yet, which is a silver 1831 Capped Bust half dime. The face is rubbed off, but I don't care. haha I'm super happy with this find! This was only my second dug target of the afternoon. Found a bunch of brass items also, but my favorite are these two buttons. I wish I would've taken a "before" photo of this gilt button. It was so corroded with chunky copper on front and back that barely any of the gold gilt was visible. I thought it was useless trying to clean it off. I don't know what made me think to scrape it with my key, but I did and a big chunk of the corroded metal came off to reveal more gold gilt intact underneath! After cleaning it up, it reads "WARRENTED * DOUBLE GILT * ". Does anyone know why "Warrented" is mispelled with an "e" and not an "a" ? I tried doing a bit of research online, but found nothing related to that spelling. I'm assuming it dates to early 1800s. The other button has an iron back which is too heavily corroded. The front is delicately gilded. Pretty little button. Great day.

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 72093290341__4F3B99BE-1683-4297-A519-6B7BE2C6A5A8.jpg
    72093290341__4F3B99BE-1683-4297-A519-6B7BE2C6A5A8.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 72093289248__CC7DF30B-F27A-41EA-A0BF-921678E9E250.jpg
    72093289248__CC7DF30B-F27A-41EA-A0BF-921678E9E250.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 51
I've hunted this ag field hard over the last winter-early spring. It yielded some great finds last year. Then the crops were planted in May, harvested yesterday, and I was back out. It's amazing what kinds of things I missed before that were audible this time around. Found my best coin yet, which is a silver 1831 Capped Bust half dime. The face is rubbed off, but I don't care. haha I'm super happy with this find! This was only my second dug target of the afternoon. Found a bunch of brass items also, but my favorite are these two buttons. I wish I would've taken a "before" photo of this gilt button. It was so corroded with chunky copper on front and back that barely any of the gold gilt was visible. I thought it was useless trying to clean it off. I don't know what made me think to scrape it with my key, but I did and a big chunk of the corroded metal came off to reveal more gold gilt intact underneath! After cleaning it up, it reads "WARRENTED * DOUBLE GILT * ". Does anyone know why "Warrented" is mispelled with an "e" and not an "a" ? I tried doing a bit of research online, but found nothing related to that spelling. I'm assuming it dates to early 1800s. The other button has an iron back which is too heavily corroded. The front is delicately gilded. Pretty little button. Great day.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

That half dime is a beauty. The wear gives it some character. Congrats on your best coin (so far).

Congrats. Great old half cent!

Great recovery 👍

BCBirdman what part of Indiana are you in ?

From one fellow Hoosier to another, awesome finds. Congrats on that half dime. :icon_thumleft:
I love digging those old flower buttons too. As far as "warrented" , I wonder if that button was made in England and it is a British spelling?
-MM-

Very nice! I do believe that "Warrented" is British.

Super Awesome finds bcbirdman!! Capped bust coins don't come very often! Congrats!! Also, it was good to meet you the other day! Not sure about that spelling. It's got me stumped as well. It does look to be spelled with an E though. I've been trying to find another example of one spelled that way online. :dontknow:

Last edited:
From one fellow Hoosier to another, awesome finds. Congrats on that half dime. :icon_thumleft:
I love digging those old flower buttons too. As far as "warrented" , I wonder if that button was made in England and it is a British spelling?
-MM-
I wondered the same thing! Very interesting to think

Super Awesome finds bcbirdman!! Capped bust coins don't come very often! Congrats!! Also, it was good to meet you the other day! Not sure about that spelling. It's got me stumped as well. It does look to be spelled with an E though. I've been trying to find another example of one spelled that way online. :dontknow:
I doubt it’s as simple as a “typo” but that’d be funny haha. I couldn’t find much either about it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back