My best finds from the weekend - hunted a new permission (1800s homesite in Western Indiana)

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excited to share my favorite finds this weekend. Went all day saturday and half the day sunday. The land owner told me that when she moved to the property in the 1970s, there was a 90 year old man who told her there used to be an old cabin on the hill in her cow pasture when he was a kid. Super fun hunt. The soil was very sandy which was easy to dig and also probably helped preserve the metal better I assume because everything seemed to be in great condition.

The first suspender strap looks like it says "Pat. 1859" I think. Hard to make out the last number for sure.

The 2 cent piece was a first for me. What a beautiful coin!

Also found a thick brass ring (no design except for 18K inside so assumed it was gold plated at one time).

Another suspender strap has what appears to say "S & GM co. Pat. March 7, 1871"...Also at the top, there's a small 318 I think. Anyone who knows more info about this specific company or model, I'd love to know. I tried to look it up online, but had a hard time.

Lastly I found an 1869 Indian head cent in great condition I think. Pretty excited. Apparently 1869 was a year they didn't mint that many so I think it is harder to come by.

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 37
Excited to share my favorite finds this weekend. Went all day saturday and half the day sunday. The land owner told me that when she moved to the property in the 1970s, there was a 90 year old man who told her there used to be an old cabin on the hill in her cow pasture when he was a kid. Super fun hunt. The soil was very sandy which was easy to dig and also probably helped preserve the metal better I assume because everything seemed to be in great condition.

The first suspender strap looks like it says "Pat. 1859" I think. Hard to make out the last number for sure.

The 2 cent piece was a first for me. What a beautiful coin!

Also found a thick brass ring (no design except for 18K inside so assumed it was gold plated at one time).

Another suspender strap has what appears to say "S & GM co. Pat. March 7, 1871"...Also at the top, there's a small 318 I think. Anyone who knows more info about this specific company or model, I'd love to know. I tried to look it up online, but had a hard time.

Lastly I found an 1869 Indian head cent in great condition I think. Pretty excited. Apparently 1869 was a year they didn't mint that many so I think it is harder to come by.
Very Cool!!!!! Congrats!!!

Well the soils were kind to the recoveries.
Very nice 2 cent and IHP, both are winners.
Liking the suspender clips as well.
Congrats on all the recoveries.

Now the ring that is brass had a 18K gold wash-basically the dirt farmer's wedding ring.
The local dry goods store had a display of them, along with a few solid gold ones.
But being a homesteader with hardly anything the gold wash rings were purchased for a few dollars and it was a good looking ring for the price.
Basically served the purpose of being finger banded to others.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful

Wow!!! Beautiful suspender clips. I love that 2 cent coin. I’ve only dug one myself. The IH coin is one of my favorite designs too. 👍
I’m a Hoosier too. Left in 1978 though. Still go back to LaPorte once a year to see family and friends.
Thanks for the great post.
-MM-

Very nice Indian! I've only ever found two 1869s and neither was as good as yours. I also have found brass rings stamped 18K. So have other hunters I know. Apparently fraud was not that uncommon over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back