My attempt at a Electric Dredge

gunlocators

Jun 6, 2014
Lubbock Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my attempt at a 1" Electric Dredge. 750GPH pump and some PVC pieces. 25ft Hose. Once paint drys overnight and JB Weld cures overnight I will see if this pup works. I have a Lipo 35amp hour battery just sitting in a box for last 6 month thats super light weight that i will pair with this if this think SUCKS..... We will see.....:headbang:

ScreenShot2014-09-29at101040PM_zps39630edb.png
ScreenShot2014-09-29at101018PM_zps4fb9c17d.png

Last edited:
I certainly did was going to test it today and did not get a chance I will try again tomorrow and hopefully get some video

I have been exactly where you are now and I can hopefully provide some insight. Bilge pumps only produce low PSI (5-8psi common) so getting something to work good requires a more efficient Jet like an infinity jet. Even with a good jet the lift capability will only provide about 6" of lift above the waterline before suction is diminished to a point that starts getting poor. Add to that a long suction hose and even less suction is the result. The keys to getting a system to work well is keeping the hose short, the sluicebox underwater or very low above the water, and using a better jet. It can be done, just have to stay within the limitations of the pump.

Or next best thing. Scrap out the parts to other projects like pump can be spare for my high banker save the valve for a future project. Toss the $5.00 worth of PVC in the round file and just use the Electric Dredge I bought from you after this failed ...... LOL :) I just hope it arrives by saturday still shows its in maine.....
I may revisit playing with it later but why when I have a proven design on the way from you Right.... :thumbsup:

BTW Will be runninf the electric dregde with this baby. 35 amp hour rated should run that pump all day. It weighs 3.75# I had it last 6mo sitting in a box for a Ham Radio project I never got off the ground. So With its light weight I will use it for this. The run $299 for the battery but the light weight of it will be nice to pack in anywhere .. Heres the specs

Features:
Voltage: 12V
Cold Cranking Amps: 480
Lead-Acid Replacement Range: 26-35(Ah)
Case Dimensions: 6.49” (165mm) length x 3.38” (86mm) width x 5.11” (130mm) height
Operating Temp: 0 - 140°(F)
Weight: 3.75 lbs
Warranty: 3 Years - Limited*
Max Charge Rate: 10A
Agency Approvals: CE, UN 38.3
• 18 month Shelf Life
• Up to 80% lighter than Lead Acid Equivalent
• 5X the Life of a Lead Acid Battery
• Quad Terminal Configuration for ease of installation
• 2000+ Deep Cycles at 80% Depth of Discharge
• Can be mounted in any direction
• Lithium Batteries do not sulphate

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 5.10.13 PM.png

Now I have to try this just because. I have a 3000 gph sump pump I use for my small power sluice in my back yard. that 50 gpm Not sure what the pressure is. But Larger then that 12v Be it functional or not It will be fun to make.

Or next best thing. Scrap out the parts to other projects like pump can be spare for my high banker save the valve for a future project. Toss the $5.00 worth of PVC in the round file and just use the Electric Dredge I bought from you after this failed ...... LOL :) I just hope it arrives by saturday still shows its in maine.....
I may revisit playing with it later but why when I have a proven design on the way from you Right.... :thumbsup:

Too funny!!! You should have it tomorrow I would think. It departed Scarborough Maine at 3am this morning.
That battery should be awesome at under 4lbs and 10hrs runtime. I wish I had one. Can't wait to hear how it goes! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with it's operation.

HA LOL Looks like I will get it tomorrow. NOW I AM REALLY EXCITED........................ ME Must have a direct flight to the Lubbock Terminal Usually I get shipments through Dallas Tx before it gets here....... Also have a brand new GoPro so maybe I can get some under water action with this dredge.
Arrived at USPS Facility
Oct-02-14, 19:45 PM, LUBBOCK, TX 79402

When I first started trying to build a electric dredge in 2010 I came across this thread. I had already purchased a couple of bilge pumps to try and couldn't get them to work with a standard jet and so I was reading Reggie Gould's articles on infinity jets. I ordered a high pressure pump figuring I needed one after reading the thread. I had about a week before the new pump came in so I worked on building an infinity jet with a bilge pump and was able to get good suction. When the new high pressure pump came in I built a suction nozzle for it and was surprised that I had better suction with the bilge pump and infinity jet than I had with the high pressure pump and suction nozzle. Since the bilge pump is already sealed and made for an underwater environment it was an easy decision of which one to continue experimenting with. I have made a lot of improvements in the jet design since then, but the biggest struggle was how to get a sluice to work underwater effectively and I had to go back to the drawing board on that one many more times than I care to remember, I could fill a dump truck with failed prototypes. I guess the point of this story is that if your experimenting, don't give up and learn for yourself, take others input's as guidance but not as law until you can verify by testing. With each failure comes an opportunity to learn from and get's you closer. Good Luck to all my fellow tinkerer's.

Makes me wonder if you used one in the front as a pusher and the second by the sluice box as a puller?

Have you seen the story on Fox news where two guys that were working on the Tesla car developed a Shelby style electric car. It is guys like this that can produce an electric dredge motor that might work. You just don't want to put any potential acid in the water that may come from the battery. Unless they develop one that is powered by a different source. 0 to 60 in about 2 seconds. It was amazing. Retail price $550,000.

That and the brute power of super caps used along with Li-ion batts, its like a nitrous boost, but with Super caps! :P
I don't think anyone has put the two together yet, but they should!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back