fall hunt foliage bow 068.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 397
  • fall hunt foliage bow 070.jpg
    fall hunt foliage bow 070.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 443
  • fall hunt foliage bow 071.jpg
    fall hunt foliage bow 071.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 488
Lots of time the soldiers would run out of water and chew on a ball or bullet to keep their mouths moist. Also when undergoing medical procedures they were given one to bite down on for the pain. Monty

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Lots of time the soldiers would run out of water and chew on a ball or bullet to keep their mouths moist. Also when undergoing medical procedures they were given one to bite down on for the pain. Monty

chewing a musket ball? what a horrible thought!

Upvote 0
If the ball is lead, it's probably a musket ball - chewed or otherwise abused.

The copper piece could be part of dress buckle.

Next time, put something in the pick to show relative size of the relics.

Keep digging!

DCMatt

Upvote 0
The ball is 1/2" wide, lead, and heavy for such a small item. Someone else mentioned chewed, I wonder if it was for thirst, nerves, or pain. Hmmmm?

The copper item is 1 1/8" wide, dress accessory of some sort?

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
wildrider said:
Squirells and pigs chewed them too

Bingo!

Most chewed musketballs upon very close scrutiny are found to have been chewed by pigs...but it is a very nice find!!

Upvote 0
Musket ball for sure. The other I could not see good, so made it a bit lighter, hope you don't mind. It is interesting, but I can't really take a guess... Just don't know.

Attachments

• ball and thing.jpg
    ball and thing.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 328
Upvote 0
Woody, Nice job on the picture, THANKS!

I think the bite marks would be bigger if it was from a pig, squirrel is a possability? I still like the thought of the bite marks being from a soldier. :wink:

Upvote 0
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Woody, Nice job on the picture, THANKS!

I think the bite marks would be bigger if it was from a pig, squirrel is a possability? I still like the thought of the bite marks being from a soldier. :wink:

I'm not always sure that some things are 'bite' marks. Have anyone of you out there ever took a solid piece of lead say an inch thick and bite into it, its harder material than you think. A sheet that is only so many hundreds of an inch thick is easy to bite into. I have not tried it, but have always been surprised of how strong thick lead is...

Upvote 0
I don't think this is the case, but rocks and gravel could also cause the gouges. :snorting:

Yes, a dying soldier in pain always makes a better story. ::)

It's yours, use whatever story ya want. :dontknow:

w

Upvote 0
If the ball is 1/2 inch it would probably be a rifle ball, not a musket ball. Musket balls were .69 caliber or bigger. Still could be from the same time period, but no way to know for sure. Fifty caliber balls were and still are a popular size.

Upvote 0
can we see more images /sides of the ball?
sort of looks like bite marks
I question what set of teeth would make such a deep mark
could be a bite down on ball to help with a medical procedure on the field
Brady

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back