✅ SOLVED Musket ball, cast net weight?

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Dug today in a lot where an old homesite once stood. I did read that some musket balls were had holes but I may be pipe dreaming lol. Possibly just a humble net sinker. Any insights are greatly appreciated! Also, the hole goes all the way through. Thanks for viewing and have a great weekend! IMG_1607.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
It’s not unheard of for bullets to be used as sinkers, especially the soft lead types. I do not see seams indicating it was used as a net sinker. It could’ve easily been a drilled hole or a nail pounded hole. The bullet gurus will tell you to measure the width using a micrometer and to try to match it by sizing.

Good find!

Upvote 2
It’s not unheard of for bullets to be used as sinkers, especially the soft lead types. I do not see seams indicating it was used as a net sinker. It could’ve easily been a drilled hole or a nail pounded hole. The bullet gurus will tell you to measure the width using a micrometer and to try to match it by sizing.

Good find!
Thank you for the reply!!

Upvote 2
Dug today in a lot where an old homesite once stood. I did read that some musket balls were had holes but I may be pipe dreaming lol. Possibly just a humble net sinker. Any insights are greatly appreciated! Also, the hole goes all the way through. Thanks for viewing and have a great weekend! View attachment 2164508
That is a net weight. I have dug several like this, all in a small area which makes me think a net rotted there years ago. Don’t think they were drilled musketballs, but were instead purpose made.

Upvote 2
That is a net weight. I have dug several like this, all in a small area which makes me think a net rotted there years ago. Don’t think they were drilled musketballs, but were instead purpose made.
Ncsuwolf….maybe you could display one of your dug net sinkers (attach a photo?) to help Cajun confirm? Just a thought. Although you might not have saved yours. I’d lean toward net weight, since hearing you’ve seen these in the past. Good inputs.

Upvote 0
Thank you! I’m gonna have to go with net weight also looking at overall shape.

Upvote 1
Ncsuwolf….maybe you could display one of your dug net sinkers (attach a photo?) to help Cajun confirm? Just a thought. Although you might not have saved yours. I’d lean toward net weight, since hearing you’ve seen these in the past. Good inputs.
Here are 3 I could lay my hands on…assuming any others have already been reborn as modern fishing weights. The last 2 pics confirm your statement about bullets being used as weights. It is a confederate Gardner which has a nail hole in the base. You can see nail went in one side and come out the other. Oddly enough Gardner was found at same site as net weights.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.jpeg
    IMG_3181.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3180.jpeg
    IMG_3180.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3182.jpeg
    IMG_3182.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3184.jpeg
    IMG_3184.jpeg