Multiple Silver Coins in one hole

silver01

Mar 13, 2005
Northern IL.
Hello all,

I have been detecting a old farmhouse for the last few weeks on and off, weather permitting. I have a Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS, that I have used for a few years. I am now using the Garrett Ace 250 as of about a month ago. I was out for a few hours today at the same farmhouse and I received a strong consistent signal. Due to finding a 1962 silver quarter and a 1943 silver dime, I have been carefully digging plugs due to the recent finds and the age of the house. I took the plug out and had to dig a little deeper and finally had the signal out of the hole. The first large coin was a 1908 Half Dollar. After picking up my jaw I checked the dirt and heard another tone. The second coin was a 1909 quarter. After one more time there was a 1916 dime. All three coins were stacked one on top of the other like they were buried that way. I have not even washed the coins yet. The marks on the back of them is where they were resting on each other. I am going to gently wash them with mild soap and water and possibly a very soft toothbrush. I have heard this is about the only safe way to prevent any damage. I am also open for suggestions on cleaning them. I guess the part I am trying to say is for new people or anyone. Once you take a coin out of a hole don't assume that is all, double check just to make sure.

Thank You for reading and HH :)
Steve Northern IL

Attachments

• SilverFront2.jpg
    SilverFront2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 499
  • SilverBack2.jpg
    SilverBack2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0
I believe that if I found 3 in one hole I would have to retire my MD and just admire my coins. ?I have been MDing two old houses dating back to the teens and have found a few wheats but no silver yet. ?I know it's there but has just eluded me so far. ?Every time it rains it seems to stir thing up and I find several more coins and heavy rain is forecast for tonight. ?I'll be hitting the sites again one day next week. ?Extremely beautiful find and other than rinsing them off with warm water I wouldn't do anything to the coins. ?I have read that even a soft brush can leave scratch marks. ?Every article I have ever read about coin collecting says not to clean them, even saw an ad in the newspaper to that effect. ?Tempting as it is I would leave them as is. ?Congratulations! ?

Big deal, it's only 85 cents....yea right. Man I would fall over and die right then & there if I dug those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back