Motorway token

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I really need help in this one. I thought this was junk for the longest time. I held on to it and am glad I did. it's been so long now I can't remember the site I dug it at. It was completely covered in black crud. I had to get really rough with it to finally see anything. It's bigger than a quarter. It looks liken It only has wording on one side. It appears to say "DALLAS & S.W. MOTORWAY CO." On the outer edge. In the middle I can see the words "GOOD" and "IN". So I'm guessing it said something to the the effect of.... Good for ____ in trade.....

But now I can't find anything on the internet about it. Not even anything close. If anyone has any leads I would really appreciate it! 20171211_203807.jpg20171211_203738.jpg20171211_203704.jpg20171211_203656.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

The only reference I see about them is that the Dallas & SouthWestern Motorway Co. was hired to build a bridge over the Brazos river in 1916.

Upvote 0
There is a listing on tokencatalog with "image wanted" Not so sure your image is what they have in mind.

Display Token Records - All States

Be very careful if you straighten it out as aluminum can get brittle and break. I think the reference nhbenz found indicates that the token might have been used at a commissary or company store at a work site. The company headquarters appears to have been in Dallas and the company was in business around 1914-18. Here's a clipping from the 24 Oct 1914 El Paso Herald.

John in the Great 208

Attachments

• Capturedsw.JPG
    Capturedsw.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
Could it have been used to pay tolls on the road? This is from Aug 1 1915 Seattle Daily Times (Seattle, Washington) and mentions a "toll charge" for users of the road.

Attachments

• dallasswtoken.jpg
    dallasswtoken.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back