Primary Interest:
Other
Out hunting this morning. Went into same area
where I pulled up a mercury dime and wheat last
week.

Pulled up a buffalo nickel and a wheat; area could
turn out to be ok.

Got home and noticed this popping up. Not the
green but the reddish/brown, just making the surface.

jip (Small).JPG

Dug these up in the woods years ago; each
year they have come back. We have spent so
many years together.

Will update photos as they come up.

all have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

Upvote 0
Re: Look What I Found (GYPSY KNOWS)

The leaves and the red fruit are eaten by ring-necked pheasants and wild turkey. The Pawnee and Hopi used dried, powdered roots, taken in water, as a contraceptive, inducing permanent sterility by increasing the dose and water temperature. A Mohawk antifertility concoction was prepared by boiling a fistful of dried, pulverized milkweed and three jack-in-the-pulpit rhizomes in a pint of water for 20 minutes. The infusion was drunk, a cupful an hour, to induce temporary sterility. Algonquin mixed the root with wild cherry and snake root for cough and fever. Delaware used the root as a purgative for bowel complaints. Cherokee applied the raw root to the head or temples for headache. They also used the plant for boils, colds, consumption, cough, ringworm, scald, scrofula, sore throat and tetterworm. Malecite used the plant for abscesses and boils. Micmac used the root bulb for stomach ails and tuberculosis. Pawnee sprinkled powdered root onto the affected area. Mohegan and Penobscot boiled the root as a liniment for sore joints and muscles. Chippewa, Menominee, Ojibwa and Iroquois used the plant for sore eyes. Mohegan gargled a dilute root tea for sore throat. Choctaw drank such tea for blood tonic. Fox used the root for snakebite swelling, Mohegan for pain, Rappahannonck for boils and swellings, Osage and Shawnee for cough and malarial.
For a number of native American groups, Jack-in-the-pulpit was considered to be a particularly powerful and magical plant. The Fox used it in a divination rite to predict the course of illness. One of the berries was stripped o its pulp, exposing the seed which was dropped in a cup of swirling water. If the seed floated around the surface four times, the patient would recover. If it sank, the patient would die.
Among the Menominee, one indication that someone had been subjected to witchcraft was that his mouth would appear crooked, pulled to one side. When this occurred, the dried root of Jack-in-te-pulpit was finely pulverized with the root of the closely related sweetflag; the powder was inserted into a tiny incision made in the lip to counteract the witchery and straighten the mouth.
The Iroquois considered the plant to be so powerful that it could not be kept in the house near other medicines; to do so would contaminate and spoil them.If one were to collect some too early in the spring, before it was ready to be picked, it could cause you to go blind. .................Herb Net Magazine

i hear they grow better around mercs and buffaloes! ;D................nice stuff sherm.

TreasureTales said:
Hmmm, reminds me of a pitcher plant. Are JITP carnivorous?

Thanks for the nature lesson. Always fun learning about wildflowers in other parts of the country, I really enjoy this type of "quiz." One question, though, who in the heck is Gypsy? She knows everything - it's weird. ;D ;D ;)

Ahhhh ....Thee Geepsy Knows all.....and sees all

Attachments

• gypsy.jpg
    gypsy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,369

gypsyheart said:
hollowpointred said:
i hear they grow better around mercs and buffaloes! ;D................nice stuff sherm.

Actually they do well around Rust....LOL

that too! ;) :D

Hmmm....sounds like we all should grow the stuff!!
...and why are people still guessing?..lol

Lots of rain in the past 24 hours; overcast; got
cool.

They like the shade and do well in moist soil.

Photo #3
Not much of a change.

day3 (Small).JPG

all have a good un................
SHERMANVILLE

Ummm, is it Jack in the pulpit? ;)

I was thinking about that post yesterday by Mich Badger, too....

exanimo redux said:
It's a good day when one finds a Buffalo Nickle with the date visable. You must have the disc setting low enough as you are finding nickles. Hope there is some silver lurking in that spot for you to find. As for the plant - I know very well what poison ivy and poison oak look like and don't pay attention to much else.

exanimo redux,

most often hunt in the relic or zero mode with the
Garrett 1500. This area I'm using the basic setting
for their coin mode. Seems to be working ;) ;D

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Jeffro said:
Ummm, is it Jack in the pulpit? ;)

I was thinking about that post yesterday by Mich Badger, too....

Jeffro,

now that is a post you have to read, and I still don't
know what direction it is going. :o 427 entries ;D :D :)

have a good un..............
SHERMANVILLE

luckysgirl said:
Hmmm....sounds like we all should grow the stuff!!
...and why are people still guessing?..lol

Iris? :D

When they turn out to be ramps/wild leeks . . . then he'll be too late to apologize to me. ;)

;D Starting to open ;D

all have a good un...................

Attachments

• 31 (Small).JPG
    31 (Small).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 921
  • 32 (Small).JPG
    32 (Small).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 891
EXCITING NEW PHOTO

;)

all have a good un...................
SHERMANVILLE

Attachments

• j4 (Small).JPG
    j4 (Small).JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 764
Re: EXCITING NEW PHOTO

I love watching grass grow. Uh...er...in this case...JITP grow. :D

Re: EXCITING NEW PHOTO

TreasureTales said:
I love watching grass grow. Uh...er...in this case...JITP grow. :D

Yes,

enjoy watching things grow;

and hearing the sounds of things growing.

A symphony.

have a good un..............
SHERMANVILLE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back