Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collection of more recent coins found at 2 different sites. One site was a home built in 1717. But just remains of a root cellar now. Other homesite is later 1770's early 1800's but also torn down long ago. Lost of iron signals but did not appear to have a root cellar.

A 1-2
1811-1813 VICTORIA NOBIS EST copper half penny. From Canada Provinces. Condition is pretty good. Never found one of these before.

B 1-2
1721 H French Colonies copper 9 Deniers. 1717 homesite. Condition just good. Wish it was better, another first for me.

C 1-2
1723 Hibernia half Penny. 1717 homesite. Condition very good. Copper

D 1-2
1787 Connecticut State Copper. Condition ok to good. Have found a number of these on the cape.

E 1-2
1746 King Geo II half Penny. 1717 homesite. Another coin is very nice condition.

F 1-2
1799 King Geo III half penny. Needs more cleaning but appears to be in very nice shape.

G 1-2
1 727-1760 King Geo II half penny quite worn. 1717 homesite.

H 1-2
1803 Draped Bust One Cent. Corrosion on the side that must have been facing up. I often wonder
about that. As reverse in in such better condition.

J 1-2
1806 Draped Bust Half Penny. First Draped Bust half penny for me.

K 1-2
1863? hard to read. Indian Head Penny. Common year.

L 1-2
Unknown Coin? If it even is a Coin. Measures 40mm Appears to be brass. I have found 5 counterfeit early coins in my town of Harwich to date. I thing this might have been another.

Late image is of two stamped Latten spoon bowls and Latten handle. The bowl with part of the handle intact is stamped by a Netherlands spoon maker. Many Latten spoons usually English. Latten spoon bowls found at Puritan homesites in Duxbury, MA were from the Netherlands. So they can go back to the early 1600's. Latten spoons were much stronger than pewter. They were often listed individually in colonial wills.

Thanks for looking!! Bill

Attachments

• A1.JPG
    A1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 181
  • G2.JPG
    G2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 85
  • H1.JPG
    H1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 77
  • H2.JPG
    H2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 77
  • J1.JPG
    J1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 75
  • J2.JPG
    J2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 74
  • K1.JPG
    K1.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 73
  • K2.JPG
    K2.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 80
  • L1.JPG
    L1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 82
  • L2.JPG
    L2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 89
  • latten bowls and handle.jpg
    latten bowls and handle.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 87
  • G1.JPG
    G1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 83
  • F2.JPG
    F2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
  • A2.JPG
    A2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 74
  • B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 74
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 77
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 75
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 72
  • D1.JPG
    D1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 69
  • D2.JPG
    D2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 71
  • E1.JPG
    E1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 68
  • E2.JPG
    E2.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 70
  • F1.JPG
    F1.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 49
Nice group of early coppers!
Just the sort of thing I like to see at my sites...keep those great finds coming!
Thank you. I love your quote!

Right now I am experiencing a "Location Deficiency" out here in Oregon. Wonderful finds there, not something one is likely to find here.
You might have a better chance of finding gold coins out there. Probably three gold coins buried for the whole peninsula here on Cape Cod!

Terrific finds! I love the variety of coins. It makes sense with the location, and it is really neat to see them all together! I think your L 1-2 is a Brazil Reis coin that has been revalued with a countermark. There are lots of different versions of these. I found this 40 c/m overstruck on an 80 Reis which looks close - it also is in line with the size at about 40mm. I flipped the image of your coin to make the comparison. These types of coins seem to turn up on coastal sites and I think they must have circulated in America for a time.

Attachments

• reis.jpg
    reis.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 11
Terrific finds! I love the variety of coins. It makes sense with the location, and it is really neat to see them all together! I think your L 1-2 is a Brazil Reis coin that has been revalued with a countermark. There are lots of different versions of these. I found this 40 c/m overstruck on an 80 Reis which looks close - it also is in line with the size at about 40mm. I flipped the image of your coin to make the comparison. These types of coins seem to turn up on coastal sites and I think they must have circulated in America for a time.

Thank you! Good call.

My coin is a hair under 40mm Side of my coin has spots that are reeded. That was the only reason I thought it might be a coin. I have found old Brazil coins here on the cape. Many seagoing families who traveled here.

Last edited:
You have ridiculously good metal detecting on the the hook-shaped peninsula. You must have one fantastic collection of finds over the years. Just incredible.

I'm nearly 82 and still hunting a bit. It would be a real incentive to have sites that produced like yours! Might put some flexibility into the stiff old body! I really like old coins and have found my share but not quite as old and most not in as good condition as yours. I hope you have many more good years. Cape Cod must be bigger than I remember from being there visiting family in the 1950s. Your description suggests lots of land to hunt. I remember mostly cottages from that visit.

Holy smokes! What a nice haul of great coppers. As for the spoon, I found one very similar to yours at a site that I think dates to the 1700s. Mine has no makers mark though. Does this style of spoon date to the 1600s or were you estimating that timeframe based solely on the age of Duxbury? Enjoyed your post. IMG_6656.jpeg

I'm nearly 82 and still hunting a bit. It would be a real incentive to have sites that produced like yours! Might put some flexibility into the stiff old body! I really like old coins and have found my share but not quite as old and most not in as good condition as yours. I hope you have many more good years. Cape Cod must be bigger than I remember from being there visiting family in the 1950s. Your description suggests lots of land to hunt. I remember mostly cottages from that visit.
I am slowing down a bit these days. I'm on meds and fighting my second battle with Lyme Disease which has raised hell with my legs. Cape is loaded with them. One of the dangers of livening here. But hope to get back out after the snow is gone. I have new permissions for two old homes right on the Old Kings Highway (6A) Nice flat fields. Easy walking for me.
The cape has been aggressive about blocking off large tracks of remaining land. We need it badly for water reclamation. Cape is a long narrow island. Salt intrusion in wells will be a problem if construction continues.
The soil here on the cape seems to be more acid neutral. But not conducive to good farming. Many homesite were abandoned by 1830's as I find few coins after that period. Probably went West.

Holy smokes! What a nice haul of great coppers. As for the spoon, I found one very similar to yours at a site that I think dates to the 1700s. Mine has no makers mark though. Does this style of spoon date to the 1600s or were you estimating that timeframe based solely on the age of Duxbury? Enjoyed your post. View attachment 2131634
Yours has the round stamp close to the handle. You might be able to make out details with cleaning. A good source of info is by Percy E Raymond. Link: https://nederlandsetinvereniging.nl/wp-content/uploads/6400/6479_ERK.pdf

You have ridiculously good metal detecting on the the hook-shaped peninsula. You must have one fantastic collection of finds over the years. Just incredible.
Thank you. Yes, I have tall chest of flat drawers filled with just buttons.

Holy Moly. That is a remarkable collection of early coppers Cape Hunter! There is nothing better than finding an old copper, and then realizing its a first for you. The Hibernia half penny is simply gorgeous!

Thanks for the further description of the Cape. I had a cousin who was an optometrist there and when visiting his family I took his small sailboat for a solo sail around the bay. I have good memories of the Cape but it is from long ago. I was not an MDer then but was interested in history. I'm not even sure there were easily portable and affordable metal detectors then.

Thanks for the further description of the Cape. I had a cousin who was an optometrist there and when visiting his family I took his small sailboat for a solo sail around the bay. I have good memories of the Cape but it is from long ago. I was not an MDer then but was interested in history. I'm not even sure there were easily portable and affordable metal detectors then.
Sad to say, the cape like so many other places in Mass is going to hell. My wife and I talk about moving out of state almost daily now. Hyannis is a ghost town at sunset. Dangerous people and drugs are everywhere. Busloads of illegals being dump off all the time. I go detecting to get away from it. But tents are popping up in wooded areas as some type of home. Things have changed but not for the good.

Yours has the round stamp close to the handle. You might be able to make out details with cleaning. A good source of info is by Percy E Raymond. Link: https://nederlandsetinvereniging.nl/wp-content/uploads/6400/6479_ERK.pdf
Thank you for that link and for picking up on the stamp. I usually look for marks on the back of the handle, and did not realize the “dent” in the bowl was actually a maker’s mark. I cleaned it up a bit, but can’t make out what it is. Exciting to think this is 1600s possibly. I have not found a coin at this site, but may give it another check despite the dwindling targets. Here’s a slightly cleaned up photo with a couple more spoon bowls I found at the same spot. Have you ever seen a slotted spoon like the one in my photo?IMG_6658.jpeg

Thank you for that link and for picking up on the stamp. I usually look for marks on the back of the handle, and did not realize the “dent” in the bowl was actually a maker’s mark. I cleaned it up a bit, but can’t make out what it is. Exciting to think this is 1600s possibly. I have not found a coin at this site, but may give it another check despite the dwindling targets. Here’s a slightly cleaned up photo with a couple more spoon bowls I found at the same spot. Have you ever seen a slotted spoon like the one in my photo?View attachment 2131763
The strainer spoon looks later period. Probably 1750's to early 1800's. Its very interesting though. My friend here on the cape is a judge for the NY Antique Show and expert on colonial redware and utensils. I will run it by him to see what he thinks and get back when I hear anything.

The strainer spoon looks later period. Probably 1750's to early 1800's. Its very interesting though. My friend here on the cape is a judge for the NY Antique Show and expert on colonial redware and utensils. I will run it by him to see what he thinks and get back when I hear anything.
Thank you. I agree it’s likely later period, and that date range is consistent with my other finds. That is quite a friend you have too. Please don’t go to any trouble on my account though. Again, I really like your coin and spoon finds. Sorry about your Lyme disease. Best wishes on your recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back