Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collection of more recent coins found at 2 different sites. One site was a home built in 1717. But just remains of a root cellar now. Other homesite is later 1770's early 1800's but also torn down long ago. Lost of iron signals but did not appear to have a root cellar.

A 1-2
1811-1813 VICTORIA NOBIS EST copper half penny. From Canada Provinces. Condition is pretty good. Never found one of these before.

B 1-2
1721 H French Colonies copper 9 Deniers. 1717 homesite. Condition just good. Wish it was better, another first for me.

C 1-2
1723 Hibernia half Penny. 1717 homesite. Condition very good. Copper

D 1-2
1787 Connecticut State Copper. Condition ok to good. Have found a number of these on the cape.

E 1-2
1746 King Geo II half Penny. 1717 homesite. Another coin is very nice condition.

F 1-2
1799 King Geo III half penny. Needs more cleaning but appears to be in very nice shape.

G 1-2
1 727-1760 King Geo II half penny quite worn. 1717 homesite.

H 1-2
1803 Draped Bust One Cent. Corrosion on the side that must have been facing up. I often wonder
about that. As reverse in in such better condition.

J 1-2
1806 Draped Bust Half Penny. First Draped Bust half penny for me.

K 1-2
1863? hard to read. Indian Head Penny. Common year.

L 1-2
Unknown Coin? If it even is a Coin. Measures 40mm Appears to be brass. I have found 5 counterfeit early coins in my town of Harwich to date. I thing this might have been another.

Late image is of two stamped Latten spoon bowls and Latten handle. The bowl with part of the handle intact is stamped by a Netherlands spoon maker. Many Latten spoons usually English. Latten spoon bowls found at Puritan homesites in Duxbury, MA were from the Netherlands. So they can go back to the early 1600's. Latten spoons were much stronger than pewter. They were often listed individually in colonial wills.

Thanks for looking!! Bill

Attachments

• A1.JPG
    A1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 181
  • G2.JPG
    G2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 85
  • H1.JPG
    H1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 77
  • H2.JPG
    H2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 77
  • J1.JPG
    J1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 75
  • J2.JPG
    J2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 74
  • K1.JPG
    K1.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 73
  • K2.JPG
    K2.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 80
  • L1.JPG
    L1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 82
  • L2.JPG
    L2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 89
  • latten bowls and handle.jpg
    latten bowls and handle.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 87
  • G1.JPG
    G1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 83
  • F2.JPG
    F2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
  • A2.JPG
    A2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 74
  • B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 74
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 77
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 75
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 72
  • D1.JPG
    D1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 69
  • D2.JPG
    D2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 71
  • E1.JPG
    E1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 68
  • E2.JPG
    E2.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 70
  • F1.JPG
    F1.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 49
Now there's a bunch of great looking coppers you've dug. Congrats.

I'm pretty sure that the A1-2 might be this one instead, it being the Overstruck.

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.45.54 PM.png

Have a look at the inner 2 rim circle under where she's sitting.
Also on the obverse the rim is on the inside of the lettering (can just make it out on yours.)
Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.45.11 PM.png

Here are examples of the token, the reddish brown is what you called it.
Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.43.14 PM.png

Then the darker brown here is what I believe it actually is.
Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.44.04 PM.png

What are your thoughts on this?

Now there's a bunch of great looking coppers you've dug. Congrats.

I'm pretty sure that the A1-2 might be this one instead, it being the Overstruck.

View attachment 2131397

Have a look at the inner 2 rim circle under where she's sitting.
Also on the obverse the rim is on the inside of the lettering (can just make it out on yours.)
View attachment 2131398

Here are examples of the token, the reddish brown is what you called it. View attachment 2131399

Then the darker brown here is what I believe it actually is.View attachment 2131400
What are your thoughts on this?
It does appear to have part of the overstruck based off this normal strike.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_152846929_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240214_152846929_HDR.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Collection of more recent coins found at 2 different sites. One site was a home built in 1717. But just remains of a root cellar now. Other homesite is later 1770's early 1800's but also torn down long ago. Lost of iron signals but did not appear to have a root cellar.

A 1-2
1811-1813 VICTORIA NOBIS EST copper half penny. From Canada Provinces. Condition is pretty good. Never found one of these before.

B 1-2
1721 H French Colonies copper 9 Deniers. 1717 homesite. Condition just good. Wish it was better, another first for me.

C 1-2

D 1-2
1787 Connecticut State Copper. Condition ok to good. Have found a number of these on the cape.

E 1-2
1746 King Geo II half Penny. 1717 homesite. Another coin is very nice condition.

F 1-2
1799 King Geo III half penny. Needs more cleaning but appears to be in very nice shape.

G 1-2

H 1-2
1803 Draped Bust One Cent. Corrosion on the side that must have been facing up. I often wonder

J 1-2

K 1-2

L 1-2
Unknown Coin? If it even is a Coin. Measures 40mm Appears to be brass. I have found 5 counterfeit early coins in my town of Harwich to date. I thing this might have been another.

Late image is of two stamped Latten spoon bowls and Latten handle. The bowl with part of the handle intact is stamped by a Netherlands spoon maker. Many Latten spoons usually English. Latten spoon bowls found at Puritan homesites in Duxbury, MA were from the Netherlands. So they can go back to the early 1600's. Latten spoons were much stronger than pewter. They were often listed individually in colonial wills.

Dulce!

Would you be willing to share some tips? When you locate an old root cellar, do you search the edges (around the foundations)? Or through the middle? Or both?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Dulce!

Would you be willing to share some tips? When you locate an old root cellar, do you search the edges (around the foundations)? Or through the middle? Or both?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
I just use a 6" coil and turn down the sensitivity. I'm not looking to go very deep. Root cellars from the early 1700's do not seem to have anywhere as much iron as later sites. I would guess nails were harder to get. One early homesite had lots of buttons and broken spoon etc. but very little iron. Probably a log style construction instead. I have not had much luck finding items in the cellar hole itself. All the best Items I have found were some distance from the cellar/homesite to tell you the truth.

I just use a 6" coil and turn down the sensitivity. I'm not looking to go very deep. Root cellars from the early 1700's do not seem to have anywhere as much iron as later sites. I would guess nails were harder to get. One early homesite had lots of buttons and broken spoon etc. but very little iron. Probably a log style construction instead. I have not had much luck finding items in the cellar hole itself. All the best Items I have found were some distance from the cellar/homesite to tell you the truth.
Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

You confirm what I've posted a few times on TN - where you hunt makes all the difference. Having said that, however, the "how" comes into play.

I'd like to see a Forum section with "Pro Tips for Beginners" to help newbies get started correctly.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

You confirm what I've posted a few times on TN - where you hunt makes all the difference. Having said that, however, the "how" comes into play.

I'd like to see a Forum section with "Pro Tips for Beginners" to help newbies get started correctly.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Something else that can improve your chances of finding areas of interest is using a online radar ground mapping websites. Not sure if it's available for other states. But there may be similar programs to use. https://maps.massgis.digital.mass.gov/MassMapper/MassMapper.html

On Cape Cod there is very few natural above ground rocks except areas on the northside left by the glacier. On the Old Kings Highway along the north side you can see classic stone walls. But rest of the cape is mostly devoid of rocks. Instead some early settlers marked their lots/land by digging shallow trenches along the boundaries. These small scars show up on radar all over the cape. Box like areas sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Possible cellar holes can show up as well. These long trenches I confirmed were being used as boundaries. In many areas I detect on one side of the trench and get all kinds of iron signals from plowing, buttons broken hoes etc. But total silence on the other side of the trench. I'm in my 70's so giving away suppose secrets is not of concern anymore. I dug my first site a 1740 house in mid 1970's. Totally addicted after that. Bill

A 1-2

B 1-2

C 1-2

D 1-2

E 1-2

F 1-2

G 1-2

H 1-2

J 1-2

K 1-2

L 1-2

FANTASTIC COINS!! I beach hunt for my guns but reading all of these posts makes me itching to hunt your type of locations. HOW DO YOU FIND THESE SPOTS ( old maps?) AND GET PERMISSION TO DIG?? JB

FANTASTIC COINS!! I beach hunt for my guns but reading all of these posts makes me itching to hunt your type of locations. HOW DO YOU FIND THESE SPOTS ( old maps?) AND GET PERMISSION TO DIG?? JB
Well depends where you live. Massachusetts and Virginia are about ground zero for finding the earliest artifacts. I have a 800 acre conservation woodlands a short walk from my house. There was a grist mill there in 1628. Loads of old trails. Location certainly helps. Where are you located?

Well depends where you live. Massachusetts and Virginia are about ground zero for finding the earliest artifacts. I have a 800 acre conservation woodlands a short walk from my house. There was a grist mill there in 1628. Loads of old trails. Location certainly helps. Where are you located?
I'm in NJ. My town is 340 years old, and I know that there are old site of homes no longer, so it's just a matter of locating. Do you find coins off of main roads and trails, or by the old structure itself? Do you need permissions?

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FINDS :) THANKS for SHARING WITH US ALL !!

I'm in NJ. My town is 340 years old, and I know that there are old site of homes no longer, so it's just a matter of locating. Do you find coins off of main roads and trails, or by the old structure itself? Do you need permissions?
Trails were their highways. You can tell how old a trail is by iron signals. If I walk a new trail and fail to get iron signals then I know the trail is not very old. Old trails you keep hitting bits and pieces of iron and sometimes a loud signal can will be a oxen shoe. Funny very few horse shoes. I could fill a bucket with oxen shoes. Some trails are deeply worn. Others look new, but I find coins and a complete mid 1700 shoe buckle less than a inch below the packed soil in the middle of the trail. Go figure. Also a Spanish 1 reales in the middle of the trail as well. You would think the trail is new as the ground around you is equally flat. Even find a occasional Indian Guide Tree. Which tells you you are on a old trail. Pic with my wife and our lab.

Attachments

• indian trail guide tree .jpg
    indian trail guide tree .jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 32
Trails were their highways. You can tell how old a trail is by iron signals. If I walk a new trail and fail to get iron signals then I know the trail is not very old. Old trails you keep hitting bits and pieces of iron and sometimes a loud signal can will be an oxen shoe. Funny very few horse shoes. I could fill a bucket with oxen shoes. Some trails are deeply worn. Others look new, but I find coins and a complete mid 1700 shoe buckle less than an inch below the packed soil in the middle of the trail. Go figure. Also a Spanish 1 reales in the middle of the trail as well. You would think the trail is new as the ground around you is equally flat. Even find an occasional Indian Guide Tree. Which tells you you are on an old trail. Pic with my wife and our lab.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back