Modern black powder bullet or 1800’s

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about black powder bullets. I know it’s looks similar to ones from the CW era. And I found it in an village that was active throughout the 1800’s. Just woods and old foundations now. So the timing good be right. But it’s also an area that could be hunted today.( like deer hunting not metal detecting) So modern or old?

6BA8C209-7725-442B-BA89-A10E28F9D92B.jpeg

Found a post on here with an almost identical bullet. Most said yes it’s old. Some said modern. But there really want a consensus.

Despite what you may have read elsewhere, the following information, photo, and Link should give you absolute certainty about your bullet's correct identification.

Although your bullet resembles a civil war era .36 Tranter or .40 LeMat revolver bullet, it is definitely a modern blackpowder-shooter bullet. Note that the Tranter and the LeMat bullets do not have the raised "belt" above the body-groove, which we do see on your bullet. Here's a photo of another one like yours, so you can clearly see the "belt" I'm talking about.

Also, here's a link to an extensive chart showing many varieties & calibers of modern blackpowder-shooter bullets. Customers can order the bulletmold which makes the bullet by citing its number on the chart. Take a look at bullet 323062.
Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

Attachments

• bullet_MODERN_not-a-LeMat-36cal_rotated_DSC02036.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_not-a-LeMat-36cal_rotated_DSC02036.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back