Mint Mark Error? Coin experts please look...

Jan 20, 2011
I was going through my clad coins and noticed this dime. It has part of UNITED stamped backwards and also 3 leafs stamped on the face. It looks like it was flipped over in the mint and somehow the reverse was stamped on the obverse. How does one prove it came this way from the mint??

Attachments

• IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 831
  • IMG_4270.JPG
    IMG_4270.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG_4271.JPG
    IMG_4271.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_4281.jpg
    IMG_4281.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 703
Im no expert but it looks like it was probably done after mint by 2 coins being squished together, just my guess.

Upvote 0
jcooking said:
Im no expert but it looks like it was probably done after mint by 2 coins being squished together, just my guess.

I think that is probably right because if the die had struck it, there would be some damage to the face and the leaf would be raised.

Upvote 0
I'd bet that the leaves happened after the mint as well, but it sure looks misstamped at any rate.

Someone here will know for sure, most likely.

By the way RetiredNavyChief: Welcome to TreasureNet!

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Thanks for looking and thanks for the welcome here on Treasurenet. I have been looking at everyones finds for a few weeks now but this is my first post.

Upvote 0
RetiredNavyChief said:
Thanks for looking and thanks for the welcome here on Treasurenet. I have been looking at everyones finds for a few weeks now but this is my first post.

:icon_thumleft: Really nice to have you! :icon_thumright:

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
ffuries said:
Also with the backwards letters it leans towards Post-Mint damage, had it happened at the time of minting the letters would not be backwards.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired

You got in before me Mike :icon_thumleft:.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
The rim on the reverse looks like it sustained damage from the sidewalk where some kid hammered another coin on the top of the dime.

Best,
Scott

Upvote 0
AU24K said:
The rim on the reverse looks like it sustained damage from the sidewalk where some kid hammered another coin on the top of the dime.

Best,
Scott

Nobody was playing with that coin...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back