Minelab engineers need to fix the iron falsing issues

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look I own 3 machines, whites, notka, minelab. But the majority of serious hunters that spend 1500.00 would like a machine that doesn’t fault on iron, nails etc. it’s not about perfectio, it’s when you constantly having legal issues with notka and minelab, should be focused on your elite machine named manticore, please your losing confi in consumers when you can’t get products into stores yet producing machines, good machines yes, but, I repeat how can you engineer a machine that’s faulty .

Upvote 1
I feel your pain, I've tried this site with 3 machines, one of which was the Manicore, and get the same results. For me I think it was just too soon to take a new machine that I had only used for 2 or 3 hours, to a new site. The square nails rang off as if they were dimes. And the site is very remote, you deed to watch out for washed out trails, keep trimming bushes, a real chore to get to.

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 24
Look I own 3 machines, whites, notka, minelab. But the majority of serious hunters that spend 1500.00 would like a machine that doesn’t fault on iron, nails etc. it’s not about perfectio, it’s when you constantly having legal issues with notka and minelab, should be focused on your elite machine named manticore, please your losing confi in consumers when you can’t get products into stores yet producing machines, good machines yes, but, I repeat how can you engineer a machine that’s faulty .
Granted you own 3 machines-one was produced 15 yrs+ ago and was a upper end machine, and the other 2 are lower end (price wise)
You seem to have an issue with the high end machines, and what are you expecting they do really?

I'm not understanding this statement, so maybe help me understand what the legal issues are exactly.
"it’s when you constantly having legal issues with notka and minelab"

For putting products into stores-I checked a few sites and they post in stock for the Manticore.

How do you know the said machine is faulty?
You don't own one-so is it from just reading, viewing videos?
It's a pretty broad assumption believing everything on the net to assume that it's a engineering fault.

Now this only my opinion amounts from only buying the best available machine that has been offered since I ever started this long road of digging. Approx. 55yrs-Many machines in that time period.
Why does it matter to me buying only the best?-Simple answer time=results.
That being said if I am going to invest the time in detecting I want the best chance of recovering a keeper.

Now I will say this also regarding the high end machines-do they hit on iron-hell ya!
Deep nails, bent nails are even better sounding. Iron with a hole in it better yet.
Though this can be fixed with the simple fact "Get to know the machine"
Sure one will swear at the engineers for allowing this iron to sound like a keeper.

Some say X amount of hours you'll know the machine-I put myself at the 1000 hr mark.
Sure I know lots at the 2-300 hr mark
But until I walk can keep walking or stop to dig with a 90% confidence level I don't know the machine.

Why the 90%? Well there's the 10% that it wouldn't matter what machine it is, the target isn't going to reveal it's self through sound or a screen number.

Each high end machine has firmware updates, this when the engineers tweak it to what is reported back to them.
Oh sure everyone would want only the $1500 machine to detect a quality item each time it reads/sounds like a high conductor target. But it won't happen in the real world of detecting.

I changed brand loyalty from Minelab to Deus-reasons were breakage of ears, units failing, water getting into the units, economics of the machine, weight was the biggest factor as well.
So the Deus ll detects iron, sure those 84 can be tricky, and after digging 50+ iron targets (nails, fence wire, small iron with holes) I can now start to discount in digging that number. ( But I check a few times on each different site I am detecting)
Though a 85 is a digging #, yet one has to learn the sound(s). I can get a 77 and it sounds pretty good-go over it again, and the number will drop off on a bit/a lot of a turn=iron.
The point is learning the machine, and each one will have a cursing glitch in the unit that seems to haunt the operator to no end because it seems that the operator doesn't know the machine entirely, and the sites that they hunt on also plays a big part in what is happening.

There are videos out there that explain the Manticore/iron issue and how to interpret if it's iron or a non-ferrous target. I've watched one and it seemed to be a pretty good work around.

No machine is perfect, even a the high end one will beep on a shotgun pellet,
Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 9.06.53 AM.png

The 11 inch coil that the Manticore come's with is too large of a coil for iron infested sites. Just need to have patience for the 8X5.5 " elliptical coil that will be coming out for the Manticore. Once the smaller coil comes out for the Manticore we will have a better judge on how well the Manticore can do in sites with high iron contamination.
I like deus but I chose to go with the Manticore only because I can not update the software with my apple computer.

The 11 inch coil that the Manticore come's with is too large of a coil for iron infested sites. Just need to have patience for the 8X5.5 " elliptical coil that will be coming out for the Manticore. Once the smaller coil comes out for the Manticore we will have a better judge on how well the Manticore can do in sites with high iron contamination.
I like deus but I chose to go with the Manticore only because I can not update the software with my apple computer.
Oh I hear about the ability of updating the machine.
Even the Minelabs I couldn't do it with a slow connection.
Seems like a visit to the dealer, or send it option.
I'm think of getting a old computer up and running for the update purposes.

I agree with only buying high end machines,in time when issues are found, the manufacture offers updates. Bought my firs detector in 1976, most of them have paid for themselves.

My opinions r this minelab detectors r good, but no way in hell is the manticore worth 500.00 more than the 900, 2d screen so what. They can do something about iron falling that should be an engineering problem solved, anyone uses any machine enough they will get there money back in finds usally

My opinions r this minelab detectors r good, but no way in hell is the manticore worth 500.00 more than the 900, 2d screen so what. They can do something about iron falling that should be an engineering problem solved, anyone uses any machine enough they will get there money back in finds usally
I couldn't agree with you anymore. From what I've been seeing, the Equinox 900 is just as effective and deep as the Manticore when out in the field. I think that I'll stick with my 800 and CTX until the new addition CTX comes out next year. ✌️

I couldn't agree with you anymore. From what I've been seeing, the Equinox 900 is just as effective and deep as the Manticore when out in the field. I think that I'll stick with my 800 and CTX until the new addition CTX comes out next year. ✌️
How many years have folks been waiting for the new CTX.
If they do come out, hope they'll be 4 lbs lighter, strong ears, no seal issues.
Now that would be cool.
I bet the base price will be $2500 min.

How many years have folks been waiting for the new CTX.
If they do come out, hope they'll be 4 lbs lighter, strong ears, no seal issues.
Now that would be cool.
I bet the base price will be $2500 min.
The price will most likely be about $500 more than the Manticore currently is. Look at the Minelab website and see how many models that they have discontinued. They are planning on releasing something huge to fill that big gap. I would bet that it would be a CTX4040 and a CTX4040 Light option for about $500 less. Regardless I agree with you about the features that this one would offer the detectorist. I think they have the ear placement and depth down pretty good.

I've learned to live with the iron falsing. It's part of the game for me. Got pretty good at calling a nail either vertical or horizontal in the ground. Still you don't know 100% till it's out of the ground and in your hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back