Millstones, or grinding stones, with engravings!

VintageHeart

Nov 27, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some very interesting millstones while metal detecting. These are special because they have initials of people who were in this area in the 1800's. There are more of these stones in the ground, I just have to get them out. Just wondering if anyone else has found any that have engravings? Was this a common thing to do? and working with stone tools it must have taken a while to do. I'm so fascinated by these! :love9: Thanks for looking and have a great day.
IMG_20190803_154154_623.jpgIMG_20190803_154154_637.jpgIMG_20190803_154154_629.jpgIMG_20190803_150746.jpgIMG_20190803_154154_656.jpg

Upvote 14
Huh, those are pretty cool. We have something like that near where I grew up in eastern Massachusetts, it was a town boundary marker from the 1790’s. Me and my buddy found it waist deep in a swamp, my dad later went out and shot a bunch of pictures of it and sent it to the historical society.

It will definitely be fun researching yours, lots of evidence there to get you started
Great find!!

Those are some very interesting stones. Having the engravings is really cool. Congrats on the discoveries.

Very interesting find! :occasion14: Thank you for sharing. :icon_thumleft:

Interesting finds pretty cool

Oh thank you! Awesome find of the town boundary marker. wonderful local history!

One of the coolest finds that I have seen. I'm really curious to learn what they were.

One of the coolest finds that I have seen. I'm really curious to learn what they were.

Thank you! I can say pretty much for certain that these were the initials of some people who lived here in this area. The D P was a David Patterson, and the J H was J H Copeland, who live in my house in the 1800's. I have a very old house. The area where the stones are is also where a blacksmith shop/coach house was in the 1800's. I find a lot of really interesting artifacts but these stones totally surprised me! When I pull out the other stones, I will add them here to my post. Maybe there will be a year engraved on one. Fingers crossed :)

Very cool find VH, I love finding relics the detector can't find simply because we need to cut a plug. :thumbsup:

I am thinking along the same lines as Ethan, my first thought was a headstone as well.
But there are circular scratches on it, which makes me think it may be part of an old mill stone.

Maybe the locals in your area decided to preserve it after the mill burned or was demolished.
They then carved their initials into it for posterity. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Last edited:
When you see stuff like that at a site it makes you wonder how much other very old stuff is in the ground. I'm really interested in stuff like that. Never seen anything like it around here.

dam fine yard art..i would have lugged them home just for that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back