Military button?

Snoorks

Greenie
Feb 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I found a military button today. Any info would be appreciated IMG_7131.jpg

That is the design of the eagle that was used from the 1870s until 1902 when the Army changed to the great seal button in use even today. So it is military but just after the War of Northern Agression.

Upvote 0
Wow! Very cool. So it dates between 1870 and 1902? Any tips on how to clean it up?

Upvote 0
Specifically, it is a US Army "general service" button for Enlisted-men's ranks (private corporal, sgt.). That design was in service from 1875 to 1902, when it was replaced by the "Great Seal" button, which is still in service today.

You asked about how to clean your brass 2-piece button. There are many methods and just as many preferences. Some people clean them only with a toothpick. Others use lemon juice, or warm peroxide, or a solution of ammonia diluted 50-50 with water. If you use a liguid other than pure water, try not to submerge the button in it, because the liquid will get inside the button and thus may corrode it from the inside out. (I pour just enough liquid into a Gatorade-jug's plastic lid to make a shallow lake, and carefully place it face-down so the liquid doesn't get into the seam around the back.

Upvote 0
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think I'll try to clean it up with some peroxide.

Upvote 0
Actually, it looks pretty good just the way it is now, showing almost all of the details of the emblem. I can see red-ish purple where the dirt has scaled off, which means your brass button came out of acidic soil. I believe you will lose some of the "detail" on its front if you clean it.

Upvote 0
Yeah I decided not to clean it. Used some water but thats it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back