All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 87
Your "Great Seal" US Army button has a raised rim encircling it, but shows not even a trace of "black finish" on its front, so it is from 1923 onward to the present. (Great Seal buttons from 1919 to 1923 had a raised rim, and "black finish" to make the brass button less visible to the enemy.) I can see "Newark" in the backmark. We might be able to give you a narrower date-range for your button if you can tell us EXACTLY what the rest of the backmark says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your "Great Seal" US Army button has a raised rim encircling it, so it is from 1923 onward to the present. I can see "Newark" in the backmark. We might be able to give you a narrower date-range for your button if you can tell us EXACTLY what the rest of the backmark says.

Thanks CannoballGuy it's hard to make out the rest of the writing but looks to be R.L MFG Co. NEWARK, NJ. I found another post on a similar button and it seems to relate with what you said.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. In my previous reply, I forgot to mention the importance of "black finish" on "Great Seal" US Army buttons, so I've edited that reply to include the info. Yours has a raised rim but no "black finish," so it dates from 1923 onward. I would suspect it is most likely from the 1930s through the World War Two era.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back