military button ID needed - SOLVED

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Since the ground is concrete here, as I'm sure for many of you, thought I'd get caught up on my recent finds, whatsit's, etc.

Dug these items in a field in southeastern kansas. Other items found have ranged in age from the 1840's to the early 1900's. The large lead appears to be a three ringer, that tangled with a plow.

Button is a one piece and slightly larger than 9/16" (sorry, no MM. Misplaced my metric measurer). I can make out just a few of the benchmark letters. Afraid to clean on it anymore. Feel like I've already lost some of them. All the letters I can see are capitols.
There's a CO then what appears to be the right leg of an A then a couple more vertical straight line letters. At the far edge, there is a TH with something possibly before them, and then a couple more vertical straight line letters, then possibly a couple curved line letters. Sorry, this is the best I can do.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Regards,
Jules

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 218
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 217
Re: military button ID needed

The button appears to be actually of two-piece construction. I believe you have an Ordinance button, cuff size, circa 1840-1850 or so. The crossed cannons and flaming bomb symbol, is indicative of the Ordinance Department. The pewter 4-hole buttons you have, are also good indicators of time period, as these are consistent with 1840's through 1850's U.S. military sites.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

CC Hunter said:
The button appears to be actually of two-piece construction.

CC Hunter

I agree with you. I assumed it was one piece since it's so concaved on the back. But looking at my own pic suggests it's two. Thanks for chiming in!

Upvote 0

you all got it. It's a civil war period ordanance button. it is upside down in the pic. If you look at the top right you can see the U of the US that is on the bottom of the cannon barrels. The button is OC3 in Alberts book.

Upvote 0

vayank54 said:
The button is OC3 in Alberts book.

Thanks vayan. I was hoping someone would give me an Alberts reference. One day when I'm all growd up, I'm gonna get me a copy. Santa doesn't seem to think I'm worthy :-)

Regards.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back