MEXICO BLANK ERROR?

gabriel101101

Sep 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a bank bag of Mexican 20 Centavos pieces, and I looked through all the coins and found 3 1951 keydates and some 1952's, and a decent mix of 40's and toned coins, but this coin stood out the most. I picked this coin up and thought it was a regular coin untill I turned it over. This coin was completely out of the ordinary. Is this coin a blank planchet error? It is a has a type 2 eagle from 1955 - 1971. Also is it worth anything?

Attachments

• treasure.jpg
    treasure.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 92
  • WP_20160728_001.jpg
    WP_20160728_001.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 80
The hold is not completely into the coin it is at where the date should be. It also looks like it has a small clipped planchet on the right side rim of the eagle not shown in the picture

Upvote 0
I cant get a clear shot of the clipped planchet but is the coin a mint error? The top edged of the hole are folded over on the rest of the coin. Is It a mint error? Is there any extra value to it? Yes you did see the shadow of my finger

Upvote 0
Blank coins do not allways have to have rims.

Blank Coins with No Rims
If your blank coin doesn't even have the upraised rim yet, it's technically a coin blank. If it is made of silver, it is almost impossible to authenticate, but if it's clad, an expert in error coins could probably authenticate it, in which case (if authentic) it's worth maybe $50 or more. Keep in mind that a genuine coin blank will have a rough, perhaps sharp edge, and the blank may be off-color or grainy looking, depending on what part of the coin blank processing phase it was in when it left the mint.

This coin is a very grainy coin and it also has a small sharp edge on the rim of the coin that appears to be a clipped planchet on the left edge one part of the rim but the clipped planchet is only about 1/3 of the part of the rim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back