Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at the farm today, and it set off my detector like crazy. Is it from outer space, or some kind of weird rock?
It is NOT magnetic, which I believe meteors are, correct? It is also very heavy. A lot heavier than a normal rock of this size, and also shiny.
It's cool looking whatever it is.
Any rock hounds out there?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,843
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,369
  • MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,109
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,114
Re: Meteorite???

I am certainly not an expert, but I think some meteorites are nickel and non-magnetic. Lots of metal in and on the earth and I have no idea how to tell what was thrown out of a volcano vs. what fell from the sky other than the crystaline forms when sawn, acid etched and viewed under certain light. I don't know of a non-destructive test.

Try posting a shot on the Meteorite forum father down here.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY) said:
I am certainly not an expert, but I think some meteorites are nickel and non-magnetic. Lots of metal in and on the earth and I have no idea how to tell what was thrown out of a volcano vs. what fell from the sky other than the crystaline forms when sawn, acid etched and viewed under certain light. I don't know of a non-destructive test.

Try posting a shot on the Meteorite forum father down here.
On the other hand, many meteorites are ferric as well. I'd go to an expert, I don't think this can be determined by pictures alone.

Upvote 0

By the way nickel is magnetic as well as iron and cobalt.

The U.S.A. Nickel coin is not magnetic because it is 75% copper.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

piece of petrified tree.

Upvote 0

There are also stony meteorites, I believe. Come on experts, we know you're out there and some of us are becoming interested in meteorites.

Upvote 0

It looks just like many iron meteorites I have seen in museums. I think you have a keeper. If it is, it's probably worth more than it's weight in gold! Monty

Upvote 0

Wow, thanks for the info. That would be so cool if this does turn out to be one. Maybe worth more than all the wheat pennies I'm finding? :D
-MM-

Upvote 0

those are woth there weight just like Gold Sicentist Pay 1000.00 Per Ounce I know this from what my brother has said
you have to either saw off a tiny pice and send it to a lab for them to do more research what ever the case Please do extensive reaserch on this
from Garrettman64

Upvote 0

Hey, I just want to say that one of the best indicators of this things origin is its density. there are some easy way to determine this.
density = Mass divided by Volume.
1. Find the mass of the object by using a balance.
2. Find the volume of the object using displacement of water.
typical terrestrial rocks are much less dense than Meteorites. here is a link to compare your finding to.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/density.html
Hope this helps
GSE1SW

Upvote 0

GSE1SW said:
Hey, I just want to say that one of the best indicators of this things origin is its density. there are some easy way to determine this.
density = Mass divided by Volume.
1. Find the mass of the object by using a balance.
2. Find the volume of the object using displacement of water.
typical terrestrial rocks are much less dense than Meteorites. here is a link to compare your finding to.
http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/density.html
Hope this helps
GSE1SW

GSE1SW,
Thank you for the info & site. You can bet I'll be getting this thing checked out.
-MM-

Upvote 0

Most convincing looking spec I'v seen dug, not all metieors are magnetic.
There are somtimes more to be found, metiorites often break apart and are scattered across a large area creating a field, many metieore hunters look for multiple finds in the same area then bring out the big detectors to deep search the area. find out If more have been found in that area.

Upvote 0

Hey MM,

It's an interesting specimen that you have but unfortunately not a meteorite. It's general appearance is not really that of a meteorite and the elongated vesicles are likely indicative of terrestrial gravity. Please see this page for more details on what a meteorite will generally look like.

www.meteorites.com.au/found.html

Another couple of good sites for what are termed 'meteor-wrongs' are here:

http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/meteorites/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/mepage.html

Hope this helps a bit and keep searching though because you just never know! ;)

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
Meteorites Australia
www.meteorites.com.au
Director - I.M.C.A. Inc.
www.imca.cc

Upvote 0

Meteorites Australia (Jeff) - That was awesome information... Thanks for posting it for MM.

I guess Miner has to return all those gifts he bought for us... can't buy stuff with "rock".

Bummer... but was pretty exciting for a minute there!!! ;)

Upvote 0

Well, thanks everyone for all the input. I thought it would be too good to be true. :(
Some great sites some of you posted for me to check out.
Now I still need to figure out what it actually is. I'll bring it to a rock museum in Hendersonville, NC next time I go over there. Maybe they can ID it? Maybe I can donate it?

Jim,
I'll tell my wife to return the new car, clothes, and gifts she bought after she heard this meteorite was worth $1000 an ounce. ;D

Thanks again,
MM

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back