Metal rock ...any help on what it may be?

Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg. It is magnetic and heavy

Last edited:
Either a meteorite (iron-nickel) or magnetite (Fe2O3, a natural mineral), or scrap steel. Looking at the polished sides it looks to me like it wouldn't be magnetite, but I can't rule it out since it might be stream tumbled. There are places you can send it to have it tested to see if it is indeed a meteorite. I'll have to do some research, its been years since I've looked at those websites. Might be faster if you do a web search on meteorite identification.

Upvote 0
How deep was it? I'm thinking if you found it out in the woods and it was pretty shallow, it could be from a very recent meteorite fall.

Here's a list from a quick web search (picture). (not sure how to add links into this system yet!) Some places will want to keep a piece of your specimen in lieu of or addition to cash payment for research.

One fellow who has helped me in the past is Dr. Nicholas Gessler of UCLA. <[email protected]>

I sent him a few 'suspect' stones and he sliced one and sent them back, along with some other info-- at no cost to me beyond shipping them out to him.

His website is: Nicholas Gessler's Website

(you'll have to hunt to find the link to his meteorite section)

---
P.S. -- Thanks Diggummup!

Attachments

• meteorite ID.jpg
    meteorite ID.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
Wow! I see that the links already converted! Nice!

The first 'Meteorite Identification' website (purple in the picture) has nice pictures of iron meteorites. If yours turns out to be a real one, that is a special find! Keep us posted!

Upvote 0
go to... Arizona Skies.com

Sometimes they will give you an answer, not always. Looks like a meteorite. they might make you an offer to buy it.

Upvote 0
Hate to say it doesn't look like a meteorite to me. They typically are very rusty even after a short exposure. Could be hematite or goethite. Quick questions. How has it been cleaned or polished. Is it strongly magnetic like cast iron or only weakly so. Does it scratch or abraid with a standard file. you could also try a streak test. Apiece of white tile will abraid a dark red streak on hematite, more brownish on goethite. carl

Upvote 0
Meteorite is my guess. I also had some meteor wrongs. I sent them to the " meteor-rite men "
For identification. Mine came back wrongs. Yours looks correct!
Any sign of an impact point? Was it found under your feet? How deep?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back