MVC-002S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 336
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 335
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 344
Hmmm, seems too small to be a lamp base IMO. It might help if we knew which metal it is. Does a magnet stick to it? Brass is seldom painted. Tin was often painted. This thing appears to have a thick coating of paint, so perhaps it's tin?

The leaves are stylized acanthus leaves--a common design in old furniture and architecture.

Upvote 0
I also think it was a lamp base... probably holding a hurricane style globe?

I'm off to look for examples.

Maybe that's not a "switch hole" but a "match" hole? Hold the match through that hole to light a candle or better yet, a wick?

Upvote 0
looks like it could be part of a ceiling fixture for a light bulb? and the hole might be where the pull chain was located for turning the light on or off?

Upvote 0
The kerosene lamps that I've seen had chimney supports that had a slot in the center for the flat wick that went from the base (kerosene reservoir) to the glass chimney where the flame burned. This item doesn't have a slot, it has a round opening. However, I think some wick was in fact round. So a chimney support may be the answer?

1161786450.jpg

The thing I'm trying to describe is right in the center of the lamp. It supports the glass chimney.

After posting this, I still don't think the thing in question is part of a kerosene lamp, or a table lamp. It is painted and brass isn't painted normally. Is it brass or tin? Will a magnet stick to it?

Upvote 0
I tried a magnet, and it DOES stick to the piece.
-MM-

Upvote 0
ModernMiner said:
I tried a magnet, and it DOES stick to the piece.
-MM-
AHA!!! So it could be iron, brass, or tin. Ugh, that doesn't narrow it down at all, does it!? Dang. Where is PBK? He'd know what it is I betcha.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back