Jayanthonyr

Mar 12, 2013
Nassau County Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin master
whites bullseye II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to detecting. Was out in my backyard for the 4th time and my detector came across a quarter as it appeared on my screen 6 inches down. once in the hole my pinpointer picked up this rock. I double checked to see if I or my device had made an error but no error made. Does any one have any idea what it could be. Don't understand why it would be setting off my detector. Thanks

Snapshot_20130312.JPGSnapshot_20130312_1.JPG

Upvote 0
Hot rock or mineralisation, or slag.

First RULE - forget looking at your VDU.

It's called "metallic bituminous coal". It's a result of heated or burned coal therefore fusing together with carbon and fly-ash - along with iron during smelting. The action produces a metallic-like iron product, a sure candidate for you to find with a metal detector. In all likelihood, you were sitting on or near an old blacksmith's shop, and there would be relics there, or nearby.

LL

It's called "metallic bituminous coal". It's a result of heated or burned coal therefore fusing together with carbon and fly-ash - along with iron during smelting. The action produces a metallic-like iron product, a sure candidate for you to find with a metal detector. In all likelihood, you were sitting on or near an old blacksmith's shop, and there would be relics there, or nearby.

LL

Great answer to a newbie - we appreciate the learning experience and wisdom of others.

IFI

LL

I spent Sunday afternoon digging them near an old iron ore furnace. They usually sounded like large silver and repeated for the most part. Although they werent that perfect sound, I still dug them.
Those I dug looked almost like charcoal briquettes.

No Bounterhunter, and in a nice way..they are what I said they are.. I've been doing this hobby for the last 42 years and built my first 3 detectors (and several hundred others) too, so it isn't my first day on the job. :icon_thumright: It isn't the first time I've seen coke either.. Let me know if you have any questions Jay, I'll be glad to help. Thanks for the input though Bountyhunter, everybody has a voice here. Cheers all..:hello:

Larry

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back