🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seen anything like this.
Its a stylized Lion with mane.
Some kind of copper-alloy but seems to have a iron/nickel content as well, as it has a reddish patination.
Back feet are broken off & seem to have iron residue.
The top is slightly broken but has a ring of holes suggesting it was sewn on something or maybe just a stylized Crown?
There is a hole in the top but only to the depth of the Lions neck.
A hole throw the mouth of the Lion suggesting it may have held a ring.
It has its paws on a very thin shield shape, which has a gap that may or may not have been functional?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The first picture reminds me of something I saw on Expedition Unknown a couple of days ago except the one they found had a king on it. It was the episode where they were looking for King Johns lost Crown Jewels. They said it was a strap end. Here is the link. It’s right at the 39-40 minute mark. They are digging in East Anglia I believe.

Upvote 0
I would guess the reddish patina is from nickel content.

My first thought was a handle of some sort but the hole in the end is too shallow to attach much of anything.

Edit: Looking again it is tiny. Not a handle for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first picture reminds me of something I saw on Expedition Unknown a couple of days ago except the one they found had a king on it. It was the episode where they were looking for King Johns lost Crown Jewels. They said it was a strap end. Here is the link. It’s right at the 39-40 minute mark. They are digging in East Anglia I believe.

Thanks for the link looked at the 40 ish minute. I familiar with that style of strap-end & they are flattish & although his is broken it come to a split at the end which sandwiches the leather.
This is nothing like any period strap-end I've seen.

Upvote 0
I would guess the reddish patina is from nickel content.

My first thought was a handle of some sort but the hole in the end is too shallow to attach much of anything.

Edit: Looking again it is tiny. Not a handle for sure.
Good point, added nickel to post above.

Upvote 0

Just skipped throw there IDs. Gary thought that a large Trade Weight was a seal!
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1007135
The next object was actually an 18th C Shoe Buckle bit.
The strapend is 14th C:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/847085
The only fully correct ID was the Lead Seal Matrix which is 13th C. (the one with John on it, which is a very popular/common name)

Upvote 0
Just skipped throw there IDs. Gary thought that a large Trade Weight was a seal!
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1007135
The next object was actually an 18th C Shoe Buckle bit.
The strapend is 14th C:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/847085
The only fully correct ID was the Lead Seal Matrix which is 13th C. (the one with John on it, which is a very popular/common name)

Apparently I need to move back to the old homeland or watch these things with a little more skepticism! Haha

Upvote 0
Apparently I need to move back to the old homeland or watch these things with a little more skepticism! Haha
Timeteam did the same thing with their so called 'experts'. I think if I were going onto the TV as an 'expert' I wouldn't want to look as stupid as they did with getting common object incorrect.

Upvote 0
Cru'dad went one step further & found one with a crown:

KNIFE
Unique ID: LEIC-FBED53
Object type certainty: Possibly
Workflow status: Awaiting validation
Post Medieval copper alloy cutlery handle, 68mm long, 13mm wide and 10mm thick. The object is in fair condition and weighs 32.1grams. The handle is oval in section and rectangular in form. It is in the form of a lion on its hind legs with front legs resting on a shield. The lion has stylised curled mane and wears a crown. On a better example such as LEIC-80B261 the lion appears to be amaciated with very prominent ribs. The shield has a strap which sits around the lions rump and his mouth has a circular void running through it, presumably to take a loop.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back