Medic! T2 Down.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was just out detecting in the sunshine. I was swinging away when all of the sudden things just started feeling loose and wobbly. Turns out the handle cracked on one side at the base where it connects to the shaft. I've had it for a number of years but I've always been careful with it. I guess over time the stress on the handle from the swinging motion caught up with it.

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper right now. Do you think I should try a fix myself or send it in for repairs? My first thought was just to wrap the base of the handle and where it connects to the shaft in duct tape. The universal fix.

Sounds like a manufacture defect, ask for a replacement. After you get off the phone with them, and you will be upset, wrap it in black tape and post the fix online.

Sounds like a manufacture defect, ask for a replacement. After you get off the phone with them, and you will be upset, wrap it in black tape and post the fix online.

Thanks for the reply. Called them today. Turns out the handle under the foam grip is made of two pieces, a left and right half. I was able to order one half (the side that cracked) for $4 and the replacement foam grip is $8. I also ordered the other side of the handle just in case.

Thanks for the reply. Called them today. Turns out the handle under the foam grip is made of two pieces, a left and right half. I was able to order one half (the side that cracked) for $4 and the replacement foam grip is $8. I also ordered the other side of the handle just in case.

Good deal. Better luck than me. I live 20 minutes away and was everything but insulted.

Good deal. Better luck than me. I live 20 minutes away and was everything but insulted.

Yeah I wouldn't be too happy about that. The guy I talked to, Rick I think his name was, was pretty helpful.

One thing I thought was odd though. My T2 is an earlier model, I got it maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Over the years I've thought about sending it in and having them update the software to a newer version. But when I mentioned this he said it can't be updated. But I remember one of the questions in the FAQs on their website dealt with this exact issue. In fact I was able to find the exact question from their site:

"8. Since it’s micro computerized, are you going to offer software upgrades? If so, how will the upgrade be done?

The T2 was released to the general market in January ’06 at software rev. level 5. That rev. level has no known bugs. Software Rev. 6 was released in early April 2006. The main improvement that customers will notice is that we added continuous-tone ID capability to the discrimination mode. Rev. 6 is available to owners of earlier machines for $49.00 plus $5.00 Shipping & Handling. This includes installation of the new software, UPS surface return shipping, and a checkup to see if any warranty repairs or other updates need to be done. In-factory turnaround is usually 1 working day."

However, notice that's question #8, if you go to that page now you'll see questions 7 and 8 have been removed from the list. Goes right from 6 to 9. I just thought it was a bit odd.

http://www.tekneticst2.com/faqs.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back