Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000hhh.jpg

I Don't Think I Ever heard of Them

Just Slightly Larger {by 1 mm } then a 3Cent Piece

440px-McKinley_Birthplace_Memorial_uncirculated_dollar_(common_obverse).jpg440px-1916_McKinley_Birthplace_Memorial_uncirculated_dollar_(reverse).jpg
DesignWilliam McKinley
DesignerCharles E. Barber
Design date1916

000ccc.jpg

000aaa.jpg

000bbb.jpg

Last edited:
So if the current gold price is...$1871.12/oz (I just checked), multiplied by 0.04837 (the amount of gold in the coin) the metal value of the coin is about $90.51. I wonder what the numismatic value of the coin adds on to that. 30,000 struck, how many are left?

The 2020 Red Book gives a range of values between $450 and $1,500 for the 1916 issue; and between $500 and $1,600 for the 1917 issue. (AU-50 to MS-66)
Don....
PS: I had to look it up since I, too, have never heard of the coin before.

odds are a few made it into circulation and some lost during hard times,
and hidden due to gold confiscation years .

considering size they could be anywhere

The 2020 Red Book gives a range of values between $450 and $1,500 for the 1916 issue; and between $500 and $1,600 for the 1917 issue. (AU-50 to MS-66)

That's a pretty good gain in value--almost 100X the face value, and up to 1600X when the numismatic value is factored in. And you just know someone has a roll of these sitting around somewhere.

odds are a few made it into circulation and some lost during hard times,
and hidden due to gold confiscation years .

considering size they could be anywhere

I've never seen a 3 cent piece before; way before my time. So I had to break out the old ruler to get some visual reference on all this. I measured a dime, which seemed to be about 17mm in diameter. If the 3 cent piece is 14mm this puts the McKinley between the 3 cent piece and a dime. I hope I would be able to intuitively recognize the difference if I was fumbling through some change in my hand. But maybe not. At least I can be fairly certain that none of these have been in circulation for decades. Or can I...?

being gold they should defiantly catch your eye.
if you see the memorial that tiny, your going to look closer too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back