maybe colonial coins?can you ID?

S

swingbeepdig

ForumRunner_20141129_151930.png

Found few hundred feet from where Washington troops camped for two nights in new jersey

Upvote 0
The coin on the left on your original post is a British (Britannia) Halfpenny, minted between 1729-1759. These British coins were the main small denomination coins used in colonial America, the most common kind of colonial coin. I love finding British Halfpennies, so far my oldest British halfpenny is from 1696, minted under the reign of William III. Congrats on your great coin and I hope you find more.

Also, I noticed that Britannia looks slightly different, maybe a contemporary counterfeit (a fake coin with intent of spending, made at the same time that the coin it copied off of was being used), I'm not sure that that is what it is, for there are many die varieties and the corrosion may make Britannia look slightly different.

_wsb_521x271_1752+G.BRITAIN+.5P+NGC+MS64RB+1754925-001+BOTH.jpg

Coinman123,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The coin is a George II like started above.... Young head 1729-39.. other item is most likely a large designed Colonial button.

Upvote 0
Can any tell me the story behind these coin and relic? Did the British drop it or do u think since its so close to the camp ground a troop dropped it?

Upvote 0
Can any tell me the story behind these coin and relic? Did the British drop it or do u think since its so close to the camp ground a troop dropped it?

There is no way to tell, both British and American soldiers had those same kinds of items.

Coinman123,

Upvote 0
I agree. It looks more like a dandy button with a design on it than a coin.

That's what I was thinking but I did not post that because I could see no evidence of a shank.

Coinman123,

Upvote 0
Aha! thnxs for info. Im upgrading my atpro and getting deus xp now I can go hard at this site.

Upvote 0
Might want to soak it in olive oil for awhile, that helped me bring out more details in a large US cent I found .

Upvote 0
Good luck,maybe just a little more details will help determine what you have.

Upvote 0
Definitely a Large Dandy button. I have dug a few of the same one. Nice early items you have there. If we only knew the history of our items. That would be the ultimate

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back