Magnificent pipe!! *MUST SEE*

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually found this several months ago. Yes i do realize this is in the "todays finds" section but i needed to put this in a forum where people go more often and would have more chance of identifying it.

This pipe was found in a Second Seminole War army privy in my woods and dates pre-1842 (before all the soldier pulled out of The area. Can anyone identify its maker/date/country where it was made? The mark appears to be a S encased in maybe a shield with a crown above it.
Thx
~Donney

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 192
Looks like there is some writing around the rim below the marking...might want to get a magnifier and see what that says....
Really neat pipe though....no telling what they were smoking in that one.

Upvote 0
Looks like there is some writing around the rim below the marking...might want to get a magnifier and see what that says....
Really neat pipe though....no telling what they were smoking in that one.

The "lettering" is actually stars. Pretty sure the soldiers only had tabacco back then ;) haha

Upvote 0
Whoah, it's the holy grail of pipes.
We have got to see the frontal profile, wonder if it had a hinged lid/hat

Here I thought it was cool to have a clay pipe found by my son in Frisdon England on the family farm just this year.

This "takes the cake" by far!

What a find !!!

Upvote 0
Here you go Follows Camp Craig. More pics. I included a picture of the back so you can see his hair. Sorry the photos keep rotating. Its the stupid ipad. :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Donneybrook,

I'm voting for the ever popular Turk's Head.

s18BC27%20Black%20Tobacco%20Pipe%20Head.jpg

"Turk’s Head Tobacco Pipe
Rebecca J. Morehouse, Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory

This black clay tobacco pipe was recovered from a privy, or “outhouse”, at the Federal Reserve Bank site, in Baltimore City. Made sometime in the early to mid-19th century, the pattern and style of the pipe indicate it was likely produced in one of the many large pipe-making factories in northern Europe, perhaps France or Belgium. Illustrations found in the 1846 catalog from the Fiolet factory in Saint Omar in northern France show designs very similar to that of this pipe. Like most tobacco pipes of this time period, this pipe is made of white clay, but was put through an additional process to obtain its black appearance. Once fired, the pipe was placed in a large cylindrical ceramic vessel called a “sagger,” which was filled with oak sawdust, and then fired a second time. This process produced a black matte finish on the pipe. The surface was then coated in graphite or coal dust and rubbed with a cloth to produce a polished surface.

The molded face of the pipe is referred to as a “Turk’s Head” and is a representation of Europe’s fascination with “the Orient” during the early 19th century. In the late 18th century, after Napoleon Bonaparte led the French Army’s invasion of Egypt, European travelers flocked to the Near and Middle East. Many of these travelers captured their impressions of these foreign lands in Africa and Asia through art and literature, sparking the Orientalist movement of the 19th century. As this Turk’s Head pipe illustrates, this artistic expression can also be found in the molded pipes made throughout continental Europe during this time period. The Turk’s Head design may also be associated with tobacco imported from the Near East and was a symbol, along with the Saracen, the Indian Prince, and the Moor, used on coffee house and tobacconist’s signs since the 17th century." Maryland Archeology Month - April 2005

turkpipe.jpg

Upvote 0
Thx everyone! I think you could very well be right on the Turks head! Thx!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
possible 'crown over IS' ??

Upvote 0
Wow! Crusader commented on my thread! Personal achievement right there!

I just looked at the symbol with my magnifying glass which is very powerful and its not a IS. Whatever it is does go around to the other side and appears to be a shield that was either made poorly or got worn away.

Thx though!

Upvote 0
Wow! Crusader commented on my thread! Personal achievement right there!

I just looked at the symbol with my magnifying glass which is very powerful and its not a IS. Whatever it is does go around to the other side and appears to be a shield that was either made poorly or got worn away.

Thx though!

so you don't think its a crown above either?

Upvote 0
so you don't think its a crown above either?

No, i do think its a crown (pics 6 & 7 capture that well) but im open to suggestions! I just cant seem to find the right maker or date!

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a 15 but it could very well be a 5 encased in some kind of design! I never thought of that!

I forgot to mention but i actually have a tiny, tiny piece of a rim to another pipe (probably very similar to this) and cannot wait to find it! The odds are actually pretty good that i'll actually find the other pipe because im slowly sifting my entire yard! Might be a couple more years but i'll find it if its the last thing i do!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back