LST in shallow water?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I just got permission to detect in the water at a local park swimming hole. It has a sand bottom and a very gradual sloping bottom. I have a long handle scoop. My question is would it be ok to use my LST in the water? I know that i need to keep the box dry. Any hints or tips on water hunting? Thanks Steve

This may or may not help, but i have an eldorado and was wondering the same thing.... I ended up emailing tesoro, and they told me that ALL tesoro coils are waterproof. That email was just the other day too, so I hope this helps.

I am still nervous of the maiden voyage into the water with it, so any other input from tesoro users would help the both of us I think

I am still nervous of the maiden voyage into the water with it, so any other input from tesoro users would help the both of us I think

Be carefull to cover all holes in the sand even while in the water. When ashore don't raise coil above the control box incase water is in shaft to travel into box. Some MD's have openings where they attach to the shaft. Save all trash and turn that in to the manager in a plastic baggie. if you find any rings in the water DON'T LOOK AT THEM BUT HIDE THEM AWAY TO LOOK AT LATER. You can show the park personal the trash but keep the goodies hid. I manage a group that cleans lots of park swim areas that are closed to most detectorists. Remember you are doing them a service so collect some trash even if you have to carry some in.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I have hunted the beach area and pick up ALL of the trash including cigarette butts. The park people know and are very appeciative. I hunted the beach the other day but went at a bad time. It was very crowded. I had 5 or 6 kids "helping" me and i made sure to tell them about keeping the beach clean and not littering. All that i have found so far has been change and trash. I'm hoping for some jewelry in the water. Thanks Again, Steve

Howdy All, I just got permission to detect in the water at a local park swimming hole. It has a sand bottom and a very gradual sloping bottom. I have a long handle scoop. My question is would it be ok to use my LST in the water? I know that i need to keep the box dry. Any hints or tips on water hunting? Thanks Steve

Hi Steve ~ Lobo coils are fine in the water , I've put quite a few hours in Lake & Creeks with the 5x10 and 3x6.5"Baby Coils. Ken~Digs

Get a belt and mount the box using its belt clip high up on your chest. Get out there and get you some!

Steve,
Sandman and Terry have given you some good advise. I would just add there are other things to think about when searching in the water. First think about if it's really worth taking the chance of getting your LST control box wet?
Sure the coil, cable and shaft are OK to submerge. The things you need to watch out for are stepping into holes or tripping on unforeseen objects. Also be careful when others are around splashing or playing that may accidentally knock you over. It doesn't sound like you would have a problem with waves unless maybe boaters are nearby. Sometimes it can be trickey searching your scoop and juggling your MDer and a body mount is nice to have. Another thing that would help is a floating screen strainer. They're inexpensive and easy to make. Personally with all of these things in check, I would stick to the knee deep or less shoreline. See if it's worth persueing, if you find a few goodies and you like it then consider getting something that is made for water. You don't want to take the chance of ruining your unit. There are alot of unforeseen factors when water hunting. Think of it this way, sure you can stand in the lake talking on your smart phone but if you accidentally drop it it can only get wet!

Also water hunting is as addictive as hunting on land and the time really slips away fast.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back