Looking for info on coin

goodguystu

Greenie
Dec 3, 2008
York,SC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V
I have found what I believe is a US coin. It is the size of a quarter, made of copper, simply has the letters USA in script on the front, the back is just lines, no value, no date. I really don't know what it is, one person thinks it is a civil war coin, possibly a token was another guess. Anyone know or seen something like this before? Thanks for any help.

Hey, Utah Hunter, yes it was found detecting, however, I found it under a bleacher at a ball field in only a few inches of dirt/clay. I don't think the field is that old but don't know. I would say someone dropped it, didn't know it. I found a lot of coins in front of a concession stand and in a dugout area, so I don't think this area has been looked at in a while. Must of the stuff was in the new era, but did find 1 silver dime and a few wheat cents. What the heck, beats watching TV. There's a lot of history here in South Carolina, going to do some research on the area and but new batterys in the detecter.

Upvote 0
Re: Looking for info on coin, my reply

goodguystu said:
OK, so DD777 is a smart guy, good for you. Is this the type of response a new guy is going to get? I found a coin, don't know what it is, and smart a.. guy has a reply. I have since posted a picture of the coin, but after seeing another post, mine must be a fake, that's OK, I found something, no big deal. However, Mr. DD777, thanks for welcoming a new poster to the site. Think I'll find another place to post where I don't have to read this type of s..., just looking for a little help. have a nice day!!

WOW! Hey there Stu - I guess I'm the only one that you felt the need to "reprimand" here on your post. Fine by me. If indeed you dug this coin, I hereby apologize for showing any skepticism and disrespect I've shown towards you in your post. Some of us (myself included) are a bit quick in "defending our turf" here at T-net. Every so often (a lot lately), we see some "newbie" post up some extraordinary find or jump posts to "harass" other members just for the he*l of it. Sometimes it gets ignored and sometimes it does not. Unfortunately, pics are almost a necessity to accompany one's posts these days - a case of "a few bad apples spoiling the bunch". Look through "Today's Finds" and you'll come across at least one of the many "fables" that get put up and then the poster mysteriously disappears, never to be heard from again. So, that being said, I once again truly apologize for "shootin' first" - I'll remove my posts after this post comes up.

8)

Upvote 0
Don't feel bad. My first posts here were to ask for help with a coin my daughter dug up in my garden which turned out to be a Morgan dollar. The only reason I registered here was to ask how to shine it up without killing the detail LOL I was repeatedly told not to clean it. I cleaned it anyways! My daughter still loves it and likes to hold it and rub on it. She found all sorts of desireable coins(buffalo and V nickles, Mercury dime) just by digging and when I rented a detector all I found was a 1980 dime! I can totally understand why a person who dug up a neat coin and heard it might be valuable would register and ask about it right away. Makes perfect sense. You Google "metal detecting forum" and guess what comes up on page one...

We have had people sign up posting incredible things in their first posts and it raises eyebrows. People sometimes post outrageous claims and then do nothing to back them up, trolling for a response. Sometimes the kidding and suspicion gets out of hand but let it be known that this is by far the finest website for treasure hunting on the internet. You will not find a better place to ask your questions or a more knowledgeable and friendly membership to answer them.

Don't log off and never return. We need all new members and their finds. Especially their pictures! Losing even a single legitimate member is a loss.

Upvote 0
GL said:
Don't feel bad. My first posts here were to ask for help with a coin my daughter dug up in my garden which turned out to be a Morgan dollar. The only reason I registered here was to ask how to shine it up without killing the detail LOL I was repeatedly told not to clean it. I cleaned it anyways! My daughter still loves it and likes to hold it and rub on it. She found all sorts of desireable coins(buffalo and V nickles, Mercury dime) just by digging and when I rented a detector all I found was a 1980 dime! I can totally understand why a person who dug up a neat coin and heard it might be valuable would register and ask about it right away. Makes perfect sense. You Google "metal detecting forum" and guess what comes up on page one...

We have had people sign up posting incredible things in their first posts and it raises eyebrows. People sometimes post outrageous claims and then do nothing to back them up, trolling for a response. Sometimes the kidding and suspicion gets out of hand but let it be known that this is by far the finest website for treasure hunting on the internet. You will not find a better place to ask your questions or a more knowledgeable and friendly membership to answer them.

Don't log off and never return. We need all new members and their finds. Especially their pictures! Losing even a single legitimate member is a loss.

Right on GL, i remember your coin garden, what a great way to start a great addiction hobby

Upvote 0
Stu,

Sorry you got slammed on your first post. You have to understand that sometimes the threads get a little off course and we start trying to outdo each other with what we think is a "wild" find. You have to admit that posting a $10,000 coin as your first post is "interesting." We have had piles of bars of gold posted, we have had the rarest of the rare posted as being dug on a sidewalk, we have stuff just too rare to not be suspicious. So you got "lucky" and got the "prize."

After you post here for a bit and chime in on some of the posts, you will understand what I mean. This is a great forum and you will not only get information and guidance, you get friends. So give it another go. I think you will like it.

And I'll say welcome to TNET. May your batteries always be strong, your coil always be balanced, and your 50's always be silver.

Daryl

Upvote 0
I now understand the reason for some combacks on my coin, no problem, I didn't realize what some had done in past postings. So I go out today for a while, same ball field, about the same area. I can't believe others haven't scouted the area. Found a few more moden cents, a couple were having a bad case of rotting away. Also 2 wheats and one newer dime. But my find today included a 1955 coin the size of a half, but pretty dirty but not rotted away. It's copper, with the bust of a women on the front. Says Elizabeth Regina. Above her head is a ll, the reverse says Suid-Afrika.1955.South Africa At the bottom is 1d. In the center is a 3 masted ship on water. I took a picture of it, but didn't show very well, like I said, pretty dirty. What is it, what's the face value, I know nothing about foreign coins. If it's not much, I'll clean it, my luck lately, it's junk. Any way, that's my story for the day, guess I'll stick to it. Everyone, have a great weekend.

Upvote 0
Hi Stu,

Sounds like you are working an area where they use a lot of fertilizer and/or other chemicals if the coins are in that condition. That may be why nobody still hunts it. All crap coins as some people call them.

The 1955 copper coin sounds like some sort of commemorative memorial coin/medal/token to commemorate something dealing with the South African colonies and Great Britain. Try Googling what information you have and you may come up with the event. Once you know that, you can search for what you have.

Sounds like a typical day to me. One thing to watch for is nickels. If you NEVER find a nickel, you need to check out your settings or what signals you are digging. You are missing things more valuable than nickels.

So get to work doing the research, that's half the fun.

Daryl

Upvote 0
That is a South African penny.

Attachments

• SApenny1.jpg
    SApenny1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 312
  • SApenny2.jpg
    SApenny2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0
Thanks Bio, I googled the info, it's a penny. Sure wouldn't want to carry around many of these. It's in VG shape, but sure isn't worth a heck of a lot. I can't believe what I'm coming out with from the ballfield. And yes, I have found nickles, quarters, dimes, pennys. Nothing worth anything, but sure is fun finding the stuff I'm sure many have overlooked. I'll clean it after our next club meeting. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Hi stu Welcome to TN, when i made first post on TN ,over 4 years ago i didn,t have a pic either The difference i was welcomed by all at the time.

tinpan

Upvote 0
WELCOME TO TREASURENET Goodguystu!
Please ignore the "smart alecks" remarks, some of us forget that we were ALL once "Newbies" here, and sometimes jump to the conclusion that a new person posting an exciting find MUST be a hoax. Fake Bar Cent or not, congrats on the interesting find and I hope your next find is even more exciting. Thank you for sharing your discovery and I hope you will post more of your finds soon. Good luck and good hunting to you (and everyone reading this) I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
your friend,
Oroblanco

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet Goodguystu :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about, all your treasure finds.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back