Looking for info on coin

goodguystu

Greenie
Dec 3, 2008
York,SC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V
I have found what I believe is a US coin. It is the size of a quarter, made of copper, simply has the letters USA in script on the front, the back is just lines, no value, no date. I really don't know what it is, one person thinks it is a civil war coin, possibly a token was another guess. Anyone know or seen something like this before? Thanks for any help.

sounds like a bar coin to me, a copper coin from1785 if its real. mail it to me and I ll tell if its real lol!

Upvote 0
The Bar "Copper".

Hi Stu, I am relatively new to this forum but I've been collecting coins for 35 years. It sounds like to me that you are describing a very rare colonial coin called a "Bar Copper". They closely resemble a revolutionary war coat button on the front with the letters USA intertwined. On the backside will be 13 horizontal bars. No date but they were believed to be made around 1785. Get a Red Book ( R. S. Yeomans guide to United States coins) and you can see more information there. Post a pic if you get a chance as it's a fantastic find. I've never seen one other than in books or magazines. Let us know what you find out. Might want to get this one slabbed.

therick

Upvote 0
Ya, copper Bar token need some pics to confirm, sounds a little fishy though being your first post and all, no pic, and this definately aint the first time its happened pic included.

Badger

Attachments

• 118193595_o.jpg
    118193595_o.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 887
Upvote 0
You actually have a bar copper coin you found? Thats unreal I'v only heard of one other dug on this forum.

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see the photo if it comes around. Hopefully its the real deal for you - Those are a bit hard to come by. Take a peek around here.

Upvote 0
I actually know a guy thats got a big bag (its a back pack) of coins for sale theres a bar copper with them but I dont know if its real or not, alot of foriegns and some americans, wont name a price though just taking offers.

Upvote 0
Shaw said:
utah hunter said:
They are pretty common, I found 2 in my backyard in Utah, and my house is only 8 years old.

Pics? JK

I threw them in my bottle of zinc cents. I don't want to go through them, but if someone really wants to go through the bottle I am taking offers on the whole jar...

Upvote 0
If you have one they are quite valuable.

1785 Bar Cent AU50 Very Popular

and Interesting

$8,500.00

Extremely simple and popular. 13 Bars on the reverse. Copied from the Revolutionary War button. The A crosses over the S. Bars 2 and 3 recut on left end. Nice chocolate brown with some minor old surface scars. Rarely encountered

Upvote 0
Yes we need pictures, Most people have a digital camera these days, even my 82 year old mother. Where are the pics? Hurry. Darn no pics yet :'(

Upvote 0
i found a 20 dollar silver double eagle last week at the old city park 5 miles outside the city limits last week and it is a unm found it 4 feet down with my kids walmart nat geo machine :icon_jokercolor:

Upvote 0
i would post pics but no camera can ever get a good clear shot of it due to the alloy of cast iron and bronze and soy oil .

Upvote 0
They were replicas made, so don't get your hopes up. Hope for the best, though...

Upvote 0
Re: Looking for info on coin, my reply

OK, so DD777 is a smart guy, good for you. Is this the type of response a new guy is going to get? I found a coin, don't know what it is, and smart a.. guy has a reply. I have since posted a picture of the coin, but after seeing another post, mine must be a fake, that's OK, I found something, no big deal. However, Mr. DD777, thanks for welcoming a new poster to the site. Think I'll find another place to post where I don't have to read this type of s..., just looking for a little help. have a nice day!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back