Looking for help in picking. My first MD....

bigdawgg

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2013
I live in the Seattle area and ready to take the plunge. I have wanted to do some medal detecting for a few years. Need a new hobby.

I see me doing the local parks and the beeches to start with. I need to stay I've 400 and below. I was looking at the Garrett 250 / 350 but I was told that it would not work well in the wet sand. The unit suggested to me that the Fisher F4 would be the best fit in my price range. Which one of these unit or is there another unit I should be cconsidering?

What do others think. Is there another unit I should consider over one of these

white's coinmaster pro's are nice thats what i use i find alot of coins and other nice stuff with it

Welcome to Tnet! None of the ones you list or any detector I've seen in the $400 range will work good in wet salt water.

cudamark said:
Welcome to Tnet! None of the ones you list or any detector I've seen in the $400 range will work good in wet salt water.

What would you and other's suggest. I'm still learning and is there a type I should be looking for. I don't see me going out in the water but to the edge..thanks Mike

The Ace series will work in the wet salt if you turn down the sensitivity, but you will lose some depth. A detector with ground balance capabilities would help in the wet salt. The Garrett At Pro is out of your budget, but it's a good all around detector for the areas you wish to hunt.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

In your price range, I think I'd look for a good used machine. If you're not going out into the water but still want to hunt a wet salt water beach, I would look into a Minelab Sovereign. It can handle the salt and has some discrimination. If you're hunting fresh water, there are many good used VLF detectors that can handle that. You may want to call some of the dealers listed on this site to see what they have in stock and what they recommend.

Welcome From Central Florida...

brand new here myself, enjoy the forum!:tchest:

After doing a lot of research, I decided to go all out for a good 'first' MD...I have the Garrett AT Pro and Pro Pointer on the way.
It was a bit more expensive then some starter MD's, but why buy twice? I saved ahead for this purchase.:thumbsup:

Pulled the switch and my new F4 / F4 pointer are in transit. I can't remember the last time I looked so forward to getting something. It will be here next wed. Thanks Skinsfan and others.

I went to Lowe's today to see what I could put together in the way of small belt for holding my findings and extra stuff. I could not find anything small and think I'm going to pick up one of small Camo Garrett pouch's out on eBay. I don't want anything to big and heavy. What do most of u uses

Dawgg

cloth nail pouch works great for your finds one side for trash one side for good stuff

746178d1361389651t-hello-wild-west-lmkwelcfshx_e01.gif

Welcome to the best site on the WWW From Georgia and Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back