Looking for advice on which detector would be best for the beach?

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Posted this in the general forum and I guess it was the wrong one because I've gotten no responses.

I live in northern ca and got into detecting years ago but haven't had time to stay in the hobby with young kids. When I got into it, I was mainly into lookin for gold. I bought my oldest a go-find 66 and we're heading to Santa Cruz for vacation and he wants to bring it out. I have a whites tdi sl, nokta fors gold+ and a gold monster 1000. My son really wants to go out detecting and I was wondering which 2 out of the three you guys choose for beach detecting? My other son doesn't have a detector but I want him to have one too, he's only 8 and would just love to still try. My gm 1000 I bought last and haven't gotten to use it much so I was thinking of bringing it unless it would be a bad choice for beach detecting.

Upvote 1
No, a gold detector would be useless on the beach. Most of those guys are using the Deus 2 or Manticore. Some use the Legend if you are on a budget.

No, a gold detector would be useless on the beach. Most of those guys are using the Deus 2 or Manticore. Some use the Legend if you are on a budget.
well that's a bummer to hear, I think I'll just take the Fors so I can play around with my son for a bit, I'm thinkin it might be the best out of the 3 for at least dry beach detecting. This is just probably a one time trip and we're headin out tomorrow so i'm not lookin for a dedicated machine. Was really just trying to figure out which of the 3 I had would work better.

well that's a bummer to hear, I think I'll just take the Fors so I can play around with my son for a bit, I'm thinkin it might be the best out of the 3 for at least dry beach detecting. This is just probably a one time trip and we're headin out tomorrow so i'm not lookin for a dedicated machine. Was really just trying to figure out which of the 3 I had would work better.
If you stay in the very dry sand you might have some luck but go anywhere near the wet moist sand the detectors you have will cut up bad. For an even more budget friendly choice the Nokta Double Score is around $340 now. Multifrequency, beach ready and land ready too. Good depth, and robust construction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back