Upvote 0
No markings on it anywhere?

Like what sirial number and it gots the initials jb in the stock

Attachments

• image-1079892913.jpg
    image-1079892913.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 178
Possibly a White Powder Wonder . Sold by Sears . 1905-1925

Looks like a nice old gun, I always liked 16 gauges for pheasant and quail. Rabbit and squirrel too.

Make sure you get it looked at before you try shooting it.

A 16 ga, doesn't have too bad of a kick, I wouldn't shoot slugs in that gun though, there's a good chance you could damage the barrel or blow it up.

If it has a damascus barrel,forge welded,with modern loads it could blow up in your face.

I wouldnt shot anything out of it until a competent gunsmith looks it over.Thats my opinion,if you want to take the chance,its your life.

Do not shoot any smokeless powder out of it, they make black powder shells for the Damascus guns. Cleaning afterwards is a pain. Modern ammo will blow the gun to pieces!

I wouldnt shot anything out of it until a competent gunsmith looks it over.Thats my opinion,if you want to take the chance,its your life.

This is always a good idea with any old gun. Modern powder generates much higher pressure than black powder, the old guns simply can't handle it. They can and have blown up in peoples faces. As far as slugs go, your old gun will have a choked barrel, meaning it gets narrower toward the muzzle, a slug could very easily jam in the barrel and turn it into basically a pipe bomb.

Having said all that, I've shot a lot of old guns like that and I like them a lot. I know what to look for though to make sure they are safe. Most local gunshops will look them over for you, often free of charge, but even if it costs a few bucks it's worth it to be safe.

Last edited:
disassemble and look for marks, how do you know it's 16 ga.??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back