Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't found one of these before - curious for thoughts of age - base is 8 mm according to my bead ruler -outside copper skin and lead inside?

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

Thanks!

I can't say exactly without a precise measurement, but I would imagine it's likely the Pattern 1888 7.92mm Mauser. In 1903 they switched from the round nose to the Spitzer (pointed nose) type for military use, but the round nose type is still in production as a hunting round

Edit, at close to 8mm it would be about right for the Mauser which is 7.92 mm, but allowing for corrosion and using a ruler it could also be any one of several different .30 cal rounds. I guess I had Mauser on the brain when I replied since I had just been looking at a very nice old Mauser rifle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't say exactly without a precise measurement, but I would imagine it's likely the Pattern 1888 7.92mm Mauser. In 1903 they switched from the round nose to the Spitzer (pointed nose) type for military use, but the round nose type is still in production as a hunting round

Edit, at close to 8mm it would be about right for the Mauser which is 7.92 mm, but allowing for corrosion and using a ruler it could also be any one of several different .30 cal rounds. I guess I had Mauser on the brain when I replied since I had just been looking at a very nice old Mauser rifle

Thank you for the comeback! I don't have a way of weighing or such, but this was unlike other I've found there, short fat one ringers and no ringers - :)

Was a lot of hunting here on the E. Fork over the years -

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That falls in the era of bottle-neck military cartridges (jacketed lead)to the advent of spitzer nose bullets. 1882 to 1915. . . ish. Possibly later from surplus ammo.

Military ball ammo has a jacketed nose and open base. Civilian has an exposed lead nose and a jacketed base.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back