Logging camp boot gun!!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpgI have been hunting this 1912 railroad camp for five years and just recently posted on here that I had found all there was to find, rookie mistake! I still go to the camp but never expect much more than a couple buttons. Recent heavy snow fall had smashed some ferns down and and I decided to work the area below the site of the 14 burned bunkhoises, I may have been in a section of cookhouse that had a attached office (based on a old sketch of the camp)
I may have found a boot gun (gamblers gun) or kids toy, but I haven't found any evidence of kids although there was a couple logging camp family houses, not close to where I found the gun. The place is a time capsule, with very little modern trash, so I would be shocked if the gun wasn't at least pre 1912...the gun looks to be a revolver. Also, the gun is very heavy for its size..image.jpg
This is the second gun I have found in this camp, I found a Winchester model 1894 saddle ring carbine, 5 years ago...
please help identify, I am not a gun expert! Also, any suggestions on how to clean it up? I have apple cider vinegar, or I could do a home method of electroylisis..
Sure, I want this gun to be real, but I have no problem if it is a toy, it would be my first toy gun from the camp.

Upvote 16
TOY gun. Real guns are made of quality steel. Even ones from the 1800's do not rust that bad.

I enjoy finding guns also, real and toy. I have a slew of toy's, one pellet and two real.

I would try I nice long electrolysis bath on that one... I hope you get an answer to what time of gun that is

TOY gun. Real guns are made of quality steel. Even ones from the 1800's do not rust that bad.

I enjoy finding guns also, real and toy. I have a slew of toy's, one pellet and two real.

No always depending on conditions I've seen some pretty rusted up real guns then again that been in rivers and oceans and such

I completely respect your opinion, and you may be right on, but here is a real Winchester saddle ring carbine that rusted pretty bad...I'm in the Pacific Northwest, everything is wet all year in our woods...image.jpg

Electrolysis is what I recommend, it will clean up well...but I agree with scuba that it is a toy gun.

I completely respect your opinion, and you may be right on, but here is a real Winchester saddle ring carbine that rusted pretty bad...I'm in the Pacific Northwest, everything is wet all year in our woods...View attachment 1412694

My guns are all found underwater. So everything is wet year round also!!

REAL:

TOYS: (Except the 357 and 22 on top!)

REAL guns also do not have metal grips on revolvers.

All of my gun finds have been toys, but are worthy of a spot in my display case anyway. Good luck on the verification.

I have always wondered how any Junior Texas Ranger or Junior Dick Tracy could lose his gun??
That is like a mortal sin.
Congrats on a cool find

Soil composition here is mostly lime. Cement plant nearby in Portland. Source for some of the worlds first reinforced concrete construction in Cripple Creek mines. I found a Spanish copper near here, lime had dissolved half of it. I can see that gun being decomposed by the soil out west.

google (stevens hero). it wa a cap gun made from the late 20's through the 40's. mine has red grips.... made from 1930-1935. it cleaned up nice but looked like yours when I dug it.IMG_1662.JPGIMG_1664.JPG

Well I got my answer...
Scuba and villagenut called it alright.
I did a two week soak in apple cider vinegar and to my amazement a word appeared on the gun..

"Scout" it was made by Stevens with a 1890 pat date. 100% toy cap gun.
still cool as it is the first toy found in the camp and proof there was at least one kid up there if not moreIMG_2262.JPGAlso, Sweetinsanity nearly called it, had the company right just not the model.
Thanks for the help!

wonder the law on found real guns?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back