Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi. Dug this Lock Plate, an 1820 large cent and a shield eagle button with a raised Waterbury Button Co back mark on a hill top in a large wooded tract in the SC Lowcountry about a week ago. Finally got the lock plate cleaned up.

Was hoping to get an exact match to what weapon the lockplate may have been from.

LP112Front.jpg

LP111back.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing a lock plate with that many screw/bolt holes!

Overall length would help.

Upvote 0
A Harpers Ferry Armory... 1816 US flintlock... to be exact...

I think :P... :)

lockplate%20no%202.jpg

Upvote 0
A Harpers Ferry Armory... 1816 US flintlock... to be exact...

I think :P... :)

View attachment 1569231

Similar but the brass block is different. Not sure if mine is different because it is very worn down. Very perplexing the similarities in Lock plates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if this is helpful but I can detect the area on the plate where it had a depressed ID stamp. Cannot read anything due to the pitting. Here is a pic showing where I see the stamping. LP112Frontab.jpg

Upvote 0
Your picture is very good... but alas can make nothing out as far as a "marking" is concerned.

Upvote 0
Mmmk now check for this "mark"... the Eagle.

View attachment 1569255

Sorry, not seeing a hint of anything, but then again the eagle design does not appear to be struck as deeply as the name. South Carolina Pine trees and timber companies have not been kind to this relic.

Upvote 0
This what it looked like before I started cleaning it. lockplate1.png

lockplateb1.png

Upvote 0
Yeah I am not so sure even electrolysis would reveal anything... but heck perhaps worth a shot... but ?

Upvote 0
I’m going with an 1812 or 1816 springfield of one of the many contractors, nice find!!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back