Little silver, big silver, and even bigger clad

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
After a really late start yesterday, I got out to where Mikewaz and Bilt were hunting. Ooooooooh boy was it tough digging out there. Not literally...just trying to find something old was like pulling teeth. We were in the right area and all three of us were constantly barraged by borderline silver all day. I met up with Bilt for an update and he told me the area we were standing in had produced some silvers for him in the past. I didn't doubt him as I had dug all kinds of 60's clad DEEP here. Well, I turned around and got a DEEP dime/quarter signal. Dug the plug and opened it up, dug down about 4 or 5 more inches and was greeted by a beautiful frosty-silver coin with jet black dirt clinging to it in patches- ah yes, that's what it is all about, baby. However, I was close to not finding silver- it was a '63 Washington. I also got a silver plated ring. That was it for keepers (aside from lots of clad).

This morning I decided to get out for a bit. I hit a couple spots and ended up with 12 wheats ('18, '56-D, '55-D, '40, '28, '40-D, '41, '19 x 2, '16-D, '45, and a '42), a '41 merc, and the biggest coin I've ever dug, a bicentennial Ike dollar.

Until next time.........

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 191
Whoa, nice job on the silver Joe! That's a bushel of wheat too. I bust my ass today at the old picnic grove and only scored 4.
Hey, your next dollar will be silver since you got the clad version out of the way. :thumbsup:

Nice hunt twistidd, man thats a load of wheaties, with a nice merc thrown in. Its always fun huntin when you can pull that many keepers out. nice going :icon_thumright:

I dunno Joe, two super gents and the lady, then the Abe mob, all in all a respectable haul. Sweeet!

Joe, you done good with that coinage :thumbsup:

I don't know if it's my imagination but the silver seems to be running
a bit deeper this year. A lot of black dirt before hitting the clay ???

Great Job Joe! :thumbsup:
Although Ike isn't silver, and he's only worth a buck, which these days can only buy you a coke at McDonalds on sale, still he's a rare find. Nice silver there. I don't know where all you have been hunting, but my silvers this year so far have only been in the 2 to 8 inch range, most being under 5". My deepest coin was a buffalo at 9 inches. My shallowest was ironically my oldest this year, 1865 IH at just 1/2 to 1 inch deep.

Nice job keeping at it for the day and picking up some silver :icon_thumright:

Awesome job on all the great finds!!! Silver or not I wouldn't mind diggin a large dollar!!!! :icon_pirat:

Nice hunt Joe. Must have been a nice surprise to see that Bicentennial dollar pop up. I remember winning a whole set of bicentennial coins at school in 1976 for a contest where I made a liberty bell out of cardboard and paper mache. lol,............ I feel old.
HH
John

Nice going Joe!
Looks like a lot of people walked over that big Ike can and left it for you ;D
Mike

Congratulations on the big-n-small silvers Joe..........Way to go

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back