Lithics in Florida??

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you Florida guys tell what the predominant lithic materials in Florida (in general) were? Was fossilized coral used a lot? If you got references that would be helpful.

I was told by a PhD archaeologist (who's originally from Florida) that Florida is a very lithic poor area (both in quantity and quality) but I didn't believe her... She also acted like she had never heard of fossilized coral when I mentioned it to her. I'll probably never talk to her again, but I'm just curious now..

If there wasn't much high quality lithic material, was a lot of the material brought in from distant sources or traded?

Upvote 0
there werent alot of inland village sites in the southern half of florida compared to the northeren half and the panhandle. Dont get me wrong , there are some AWESOMe sites down there. What is the the cental to the northern zome more than makes up for what the southern is lacking, I dont know what she was referencing though, we have some of the finest point types and lithics around. Each river has its own type of "chert' made from compressed algae and of course the coral and coastal plains type rock and Brooksville chert..I went on a river rock run today, it was cold but it was worth it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back