Lithics in Florida??

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you Florida guys tell what the predominant lithic materials in Florida (in general) were? Was fossilized coral used a lot? If you got references that would be helpful.

I was told by a PhD archaeologist (who's originally from Florida) that Florida is a very lithic poor area (both in quantity and quality) but I didn't believe her... She also acted like she had never heard of fossilized coral when I mentioned it to her. I'll probably never talk to her again, but I'm just curious now..

If there wasn't much high quality lithic material, was a lot of the material brought in from distant sources or traded?

Upvote 0
tell that lady to pound sand, she doesnt have a clue, last frame is my buddy that lives behind me...and yes I cut my baby girls umbilical cord with a antler handled coral bladed knife

0303110943a-1.jpg

imagejpeg952-2.jpg

DSC03839-1.jpg

DSC09739.jpg

0304111725a.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

DSC06245.jpg

DSC06644-1.jpg

DSCF3838.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

DSCF4044.jpg

tallyshow_008-1.jpg

Last edited:
every bit of this is from central florida, about the only place you wont find native rock outcroppings is south of the Tampa area

DSC09002.jpg

DSC09001.jpg

DSC08999.jpg

DSC03109.jpg

DSC07345-1.jpg

DSC06769.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

DSC05709-1.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC07348-1.jpg

DSC09044-1.jpg

DSCF2721.jpg

thDSCF2724-1.jpg

DSC02139.jpg

I have seen some big nodules but how do you get them to your truck? And they are so deep in the ground. I would like to get them home.

what a beautiful post,my goodness,thanks

I have seen some big nodules but how do you get them to your truck? And they are so deep in the ground. I would like to get them home.

Wheel barrow?

Last edited:
Florida is loaded with excellent, world class lithic material. As JC said, it is less common south of Mid FL.
coastal plains chert in many variations like greasy agate, ledge "flint", chalcedony, rice grain chert, etc. etc. , baybottom chert, at least two types of agatized coral and conglomerate.

Can you Florida guys tell what the predominant lithic materials in Florida (in general) were? Was fossilized coral used a lot? If you got references that would be helpful.

I was told by a PhD archaeologist (who's originally from Florida) that Florida is a very lithic poor area (both in quantity and quality) but I didn't believe her... She also acted like she had never heard of fossilized coral when I mentioned it to her. I'll probably never talk to her again, but I'm just curious now..

If there wasn't much high quality lithic material, was a lot of the material brought in from distant sources or traded?
Another case of a so called professional trying to throw you off coarse.

What a great post. You have some of the prettiest points I've ever seen.

Thanks guys, that material is strikingly beautiful.

I've seen a lot of ignorance in the "professional" circles. There are very few archaeologists that know more than what they did their dissertations on. For the most part, people who are passionate about archeology will learn way more on their own than at any crooked university...

Where she may have been coming from was... the southern "half" of Florida has almost none....so that being compared to the rest of the states would make Florida as a whole pretty lithicly challanged.

The southern tribes had to trade for the material and made do with what they had available..like shell and bone. So you wind up with sites that produce a mix. Like this..

ForumRunner_20130112_093349.png

ForumRunner_20130112_093446.png

ForumRunner_20130112_093556.png

ForumRunner_20130112_093722.png

That Definition Would make any site Containing less than 70 percent Local material by weight Considered a lithic poor environment. Very interesting read. He described the characteristics of the different assemblages very well. Thanks for the link.

That Definition Would make any site Containing less than 70 percent Local material by weight Considered a lithic poor environment. Very interesting read. He described the characteristics of the different assemblages very well. Thanks for the link.

Now that guy is smart Gator! Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Where she may have been coming from was... the southern "half" of Florida has almost none....so that being compared to the rest of the states would make Florida as a whole pretty lithicly challanged.

That could have been the case, thanks

Just playing devil's advocate... your welcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back