Lion buckle, and a button.

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I found this buckle at an 1800's site.

image.jpg

And this button was found at a mid to late 1900's site.
The backmark is "STOKES MELB"
The front depicts two crossed swords over a sash.

It looks fairly modern to me.
image.jpg

Any info or ideas on these finds would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys.
I was guessing the buckle is british victorian era considering were it was found.

Maybe the button is a reproduction, as the shank looks reasonably modern?
image.jpg

Upvote 0
I would like to see a better picture of the shank. I don't think reproductions can carry the original makers mark but I may be wrong on that. I still say the button was made between 1856 and 1873 and it may be from the later years of that period.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.
I was guessing the buckle is british victorian era considering were it was found.

Maybe the button is a reproduction, as the shank looks reasonably modern?
View attachment 1035942
Not reproduction...its called a drilled shank. Early Buttons Picture is hard to see But yours looks 2 piece like it has a gold guilt face over the casting.

Cast via the lost wax method by artisans who varied greatly in terms of maintaining standards of quality control, each button had an integrally cast, rounded to rectangular slab or wedge of metal fixed in an upright position to the button's reverse face. An eye was formed by drilling or punching a hole in the upright shank either prior to or following the casting process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks bigc and everyone.
It's a nice surprise :) I hadn't seen those type of shanks before, so I was just assuming it was modern.
Makes it worthwhile to look for the significance if any, behind the insignia.

Here is a better picture of the shank.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks SS. Its a nice gold gilded button, not modern but I am not familiar with buttons from Australia.

Upvote 0
I just identified the button as an Australian army band corps button. I'm unsure of the year, and the button is pictured upside down.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• australian button.jpg
    australian button.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0
They call it a fast shank which resembles the old drilled shank. However it looks like all the old drilled shank buttons are one piece cast. Your Army Corps Band button is at least 2 piece having a machine stamped face crimped on... and I guess it could be modern as it matches exactly, other than the color. This may be one way of determining these type of shanks.:dontknow:

ADDED: Researching when the STOKES company was manufacturing buttons in MELBourne from the link post by fyrffytr1 may be the best way to date your button. The company moved several times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is a band corp button it is no older than 1968.
Yes I read that and you are probably right but it seems to me military bands had a longer history in Australia. Military music | australia.gov.au

It also seems odd to me that Stokes has moved from Melbourne years ago.

The button shank does however have a modern funky look to it now that we see a clearer picture and it is a 2 piece with a machine stamped face which is not seen on the old 1 piece cast drilled shank buttons. It still seems odd that it would have an old backmark. But I dont know squat about Australian buttons or its history.

So I guess its a modern "fast shank" to resemble the old drilled shank button and it may even have an old Melbourne backmark for commemoration I guess.., unless the company moved back to Melbourne.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back